Touch screen's in Cars Yes/No?

• Thread starter Deleted member 26715
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

byegad

Legendary Member
Voice activation is the future.
Having tried a version I can only disagree. It doesn't work in a noisy environment. In an emergency, as tone of voice changes, it becomes less accurate and if you have a regional accent, cold or sore throat it's only good for inducing incoherent rage.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
Having tried a version I can only disagree. It doesn't work in a noisy environment. In an emergency, as tone of voice changes, it becomes less accurate and if you have a regional accent, cold or sore throat it's only good for inducing incoherent rage.
Future. That's in the future. It has limitations now.

dodgy

Some voice activation systems are terrible, some are incredibly good. I wouldn't make a blanket statement that they're all good or all bad.
The one in my Golf is awful, as is the one in my last car (Octavia vRS). So bad that I just didn't bother using them. The one in the Tesla Model 3 to me was just superb, I could talk fairly naturally to it, but even with this system, there are certain rules and keywords you need to learn which takes 3 minutes.

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
The F35 Lightning has a large touch screen to control many functions. The pilots seem to be OK with it but it also has the most advanced helmet visor display and very careful selection and training of pilots.
I dont think average drivers can drive attentively and look at a a touch screen. The screen removes the senses of touch and hand position that we use to hit that heater or radio button.
True, but the F35 Lightning will largely fly itself, leaving the pilot to concentrate on the specific task at hand, namely weapon systems... So really, the pilot can't do it all with total efficiency otherwise they wouldn't spend billions designing these systems...

Military aviation is littered with examples of jets with 2 pilots, 1 usually doing the navigation, weapon systems and target acquisition and another doing all that piloting stuff. The latest generation of fighters negate the need for 2 pilots due to part autonomy and computers. Arguments rage on nowadays as to whether there is a need for pilots at all, i believe Elon Musk waded in recently on that subject n all...

Going back to cars for a moment, if you add all those toys and gadgets that really isn't needed for the task of driving such as how long the lights remain on when you leave the vehicle, or how intermittent you want the wipers to be, or if you want the heated seats to be 32 or 33 degrees etc etc Its just distracting the driver when every millisecond is needed when a kid walks out in front of you...

stephec

Legendary Member
More cars should be built like this, nothing to distract your driver from doing his job.

View attachment 540181
That's absolutely spiffing old bean.

Drago

Legendary Member
The F35 Lightning has a large touch screen to control many functions. The pilots seem to be OK with it but it also has the most advanced helmet visor display and very careful selection and training of pilots.
I dont think average drivers can drive attentively and look at a a touch screen. The screen removes the senses of touch and hand position that we use to hit that heater or radio button.
Glass cockpit have only one layer of menus in normal functioning. In terms of using them it's not a lot different from pressing a button. In technical terms itsmuseful for pilots because they require more data than they have displays, and the aircraft can configure the display to suit the selected function. Nevertheless, in use there is no press one icon to select HVAC, then a second menu appears to select fan speed, then a third to actually set the speed - the required functions are all in the first layer on aircraft.

icowden

Veteran
The article is misleading and Mazda are missing the point.
The ultimate goal of a Tesla is that it drives you, you don't drive it. In the meantime, the Car helps you as much as possible.
The wipers are automatic. Even if the driver was unhappy with the wiper speed there was no need for him to be faff about with the touch screen. He could have asked the car to do it.

https://www.tesla.com/support/voice-commands?redirect=no

The Judges ruling was not that the touchscreen was distracting but that the driver was driving whilst distracted.
The touchscreen in a Tesla is not for use when you are driving until the Autopilot reaches level 5.

Last edited:

screenman

Legendary Member
I would guess that a lot of people talking about the ditractions of all this technology in cars do not own one with some of it in, again it is the driver not the car. It is the tool using the tool that does the damage.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 26715

Nope. What I said was correct.
Not according to the judge
The touch screen did not distract him. He was distracted trying to make configuration changes on the touchscreen. It didn't jump out at him and draw his attention away.
He was looking at the screen not the road, ergo he was distracted by the touchscreen
He chose to to play with it.
Define playing? what operation was he attempting to
carry out at the time of the accident.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom