Touch screen's in Cars Yes/No?

• Thread starter Deleted member 26715
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Not sure if luxury is the right word? :rolleyes:
True!!
My last one was a 110TD5 CSW (well. a 'Heritage') that wasn't too bad.... reasonably comfortable, except for those poor sods in the centre-row:laugh:

Compared to an older leaf spring version it is
My first was a 2A Light-Weight, that was...... grim........

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 26715

My first was a 2A Light-Weight, that was...... grim........
All I know is during the early 80's I worked for BT & the recovery vehicle was a SWB 60's Land Rover, had to drive it a few times, decided then I didn't like LR's & it has stuck, although it was great for what it did.

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
Despite the scientific evidence suggesting touchscreens are more unsafe than a drink driver, it is clear which ones among us have touchscreens in their cars and whats more, how protective people are of them as if someone is going to smash into their cars and lever the screens out with a crowbar. :laugh:
The fact that studies are likely to continue on the subject and that is a good thing, road safety hasn't improved for a while now and we may even be regressing so let the egg heads do their work, and if touchscreens are to blame or in part, i do own a few crowbars if anyone wants to join me?

No?

Oh well... :whistle:

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
Surprising how many are blaming the vehicle, I would also guess the majority here have never drove a car with a touch screen, but have driven cars that have front drum brakes.
People can't be trusted. People despite the millions if not billions spent on advertising campaigns, still drink and drive. Many use their phones also. Now, please, im not saying ALL do that, but temptation is too great for many. The end result? People get hurt, sometimes killed... Another fine example is Tesla. Tesla will tell you continually that their cars are NOT autonomous and that you must have your full control of the car at all times, even during it's "autopilot" modes. Still bell ends drive as if it is and some to devastating results.

Work will continue on the safety aspects of large screens in cars, but evidence is pointing in the direction of them being a distraction and an hindrance on the roads. No matter how competent you may consider yourself to be. Even if they are ruled to be completely dangerous and outlawed, they won't come and rip yours out, don't worry.... :tongue:

icowden

Veteran
And again, I would say that the reporting is incorrect. Most stories about Tesla tend to be presented from a negative angle where the car is at fault rather than the driver.

The Tesla does not require "Significantly more attention than a lever setup". It requires no attention at all. If the driver is not happy with the Tesla's interpretation of the rain, they can either push the button on the end of the wiper stalk for extra wipes or say "Tesla - increase wiper speed". If they are very unhappy, they can pull over and modify the settings. The settings are not intended to be adjusted while driving.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 26715

And again, I would say that the reporting is incorrect. Most stories about Tesla tend to be presented from a negative angle where the car is at fault rather than the driver.

The Tesla does not require "Significantly more attention than a lever setup". It requires no attention at all. If the driver is not happy with the Tesla's interpretation of the rain, they can either push the button on the end of the wiper stalk for extra wipes or say "Tesla - increase wiper speed". If they are very unhappy, they can pull over and modify the settings. The settings are not intended to be adjusted while driving.
ROFL, you must be on commision

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady

The point is, the driver did none of those things. He veered out of his lane through a more scenic route through some trees before crashing while looking away from the road. The distraction was the touchscreen, something which could have easily been achieved through a stalk on the steering column, just for argument sake...

I would also say it is pretty unlikely that you could reasonably stop on a motorway hard shoulder or a contraflow to access these settings more safely, although in ideal conditions that may be likely to achieve, but then again, how many would reasonably do that? Most would faff about... Im fairly confident of that...

screenman

Legendary Member
I have seen many accidents over the years I have been driving, many of these involved drivers staring at people on the pavement, should these be banned.

Drago

Legendary Member
I'm in the rare position of having in the household 2 generations of the same car, both highly specced, one with conventional controls and one with touchscreen.

The screen has greater functionality in the sense that you can play your music through it, it incorporates the sat nav, even web surfing, etc. On the other hand, a lot of that functionality is guff - who on earth needs their text messages read aloud to them by the car while they're driving?

Without a doubt the older car with conventional controls is easier, simpler, and less distracting to use. There is absolutely no doubt whatsoever about that. None. Changing fan speed requires a turn of a knob. Activating wipers requires an instinctive nudge of the index finger. Both of these things - and much more - can be done instantly and then forgotten about, without any need to take eyes and attention from the road. The same functions on a touchscreen both take longer, but also require the driver to loom at something other than the road ahead. Dress it up any way you like, but placing critical function on a touchscreen and, even worse, burying them several menus down is a triumph if technology over common sense.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 26715

I have seen many accidents over the years I have been driving, many of these involved drivers staring at people on the pavement, should these be banned.
I have been driving over 40 years, must have driven over 1/2 million miles in that time if not far more, yet I have only ever seen 1 accident, where 2 lads on a motorbike tried to overtake a right turning lorry, you have my sympathy.

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
Then perhaps you can understand why people are pushing full autonomy onto us. Because its those that don't pay attention, whether its looking at a bloke picking his nose by the bus stop, eating a pie while driving, testing out their eyesight to make sure they can see correctly or whatever, is the reason why sensible people cannot have nice things as those that spoil it tend to create carnage resulting in maiming and death...

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Surprising how many are blaming the vehicle, I would also guess the majority here have never drove a car with a touch screen, but have driven cars that have front drum brakes.
I don't see what point you are making here, maybe you could explain?

You are right to say it is not the vehicle's fault though, it is human nature and the results can be catastrophic! https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lancashire-53684476

If the technology is there and the opportunity to use it is remains then people will, by their very nature, be foolish, reckless, selfish enough to use it. The authorities and manufacturers should prevent the situation from existing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom