Tough Garmin

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

taximan

senex crepitu iuvenis cordi esse
A few days ago I was rapidly descending a long hill at a speed of around 40 mph. All of a sudden my Garmin e-trex touch 25 parted company with the bike and after bouncing along for a while, came to rest at the side of the road. I fully expected it to be completely destroyed but when I picked it up the only damage I could see was a few indentations along the edge of the case and a small scratch on the screen. To my amazement I saw that the unit was still working too. Not only that, when I returned home and checked it over I found everything to work correctly.
Full marks to Garmin for producing an excellent product.

An etrex 20 of mine bounced off once. At first sight looked fine but unfortunately one of the buttons had suffered internal damage. Was still impressed by its toughness and Garmin did a very decent deal on a refurbed one from their stock which was as good as new.

After that, despite the mount being very good, I learned my lesson and now always attach a lanyard - takes no time. I see that the lanyard mount on yours is virginal - suggest you take this as a warning and attach one pronto.

Last edited:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I destroyed an Edge 200 when it came off at speed. Gutted.
But, an Edge Touring which decided to take flight descending a mountain in France was ok apart from a couple of scratches.

Trickedem

Guru
Based on my experience I think Garmin make excellent hardware. My Garmin 800 is going strong after 9 years and several drops etc.
However I can't say the same about their software development. My 800 still has a couple of bugs they have never bothered fixing and it took about 6 upgrades before it started working ok.

Sterlo

Early Retirement Planning
An etrex 20 of mine bounced off once. At first sight looked fine but unfortunately one of the buttons had suffered internal damage. Was still impressed by its toughness and Garmin did a very decent deal on a refurbed one from their stock which was as good as new.

After that, despite the mount being very good, I learned my lesson and now always attach a lanyard - takes no time. I see that the lanyard mount on yours is virginal - suggest you take this as a warning and attach one pronto.
Totally agree with the lanyard, also worth getting some screen protectors, got mine for the Garmin 130 from Ebay, 6 for about £2

OP
OP
taximan

taximan

senex crepitu iuvenis cordi esse

I intend to but It seems to me to be closing the stable door when the horse has bolted. I have just bought one of those gel outer covers so it should bounce along much better now.

Last edited:
I intend to but It seems to me to be closing the stable door when the horse has bolted. I have just bought one of those gel outer covers so it should bounce along much better now
not bolting the door after it's bolted at all.
It survived this time.
You were reprieved/cheated fate once
Despite garmin's build quality, you may not be so lucky next time.
I strongly advise a lanyard - dirt cheap on ebay.
cheaper than a gel cover (I wouldn't use such a thing anyway)

...and then be crushed by the wheels of the car behind you! :whistle:
quite - i had a london bus run over a racktop bag (now I use panniers) - bent my house keys - I was very lucky to get back in the house - only managed it because the same keyring had a key to my garage - with a tool in there I managed to bend my front door key back without it snapping.

Stephenite

Membå
It reminds me of an incident - slightly related - in the early days of mobile phones. i was out on site (on the Pennine Bridleway IIRC) driving a dumper truck and the work mobile slid out of my pocket. It all happened so quick. Phone fell onto the floor of the dumper and bounced off and under the rear wheel before I could do anything about it. I took the pieces to the shop to get a new one as we were fully covered. The clerk (who had probably never lifted anything heavier than a pen that day) had to write out the insurance/claim form and he was struggling with the bit - so the phone slipped out of your jacket pocket onto the ground, and then you ran over it? - Yes, I said whilst covered in muck and the odd bit of blood, I'd like a replacement with the same number, please. Came away with a little bit better phone in the end.

I've have avoided this if I had had a lanyard.

...and then be crushed by the wheels of the car behind you! :whistle:
I always use a tether now after loosing a 1000 that way. After it came off, I searched and searched for ages and eventually found it crushed (the rubber case was 95% ok). I'm glad I found it Garmin replaced it for circa £75.

On a completely separate note my old 305 started to power off on bumpy surfaces and when it got worse I contacted Garmin. It was out of warranty but a common problem so they sent me a replacement for free.

Back to the original 1000 story. Two years later, the replacement 1000's power button disintegrated on my LEJOG so I went back to Garmin expecting circa £75 at the most; their policy had changed and they were now charging circa £250+
sad.gif

Garmin went from having one of the best customer services to one of the worst :sad:

sorry to hear that - I don't know that model.

My etrex 20 refurbed cost about £65 I think including courier cost back from Garmin.

Very reasonable I think since throwing it at the ground isn't part of the spec.

I do hope the OP has bolted the door.

sorry to hear that - I don't know that model.

My etrex 20 refurbed cost about £65 I think including courier cost back from Garmin.

Very reasonable I think since throwing it at the ground isn't part of the spec.

I do hope the OP has bolted the door.
Yes the £75 for the crushed garmin was very reasonable but £250+ for a manufacturing fault isn't (disintegrating power button, a web search revealed its a common problem with the 1000). This change of policy (steep increase for a refurb) has seen a lot of my mates switch to Wahoo :wacko:

Top Bottom