Tough, scenic 100 mile ride - Mytholmroyd, Malham, Forest of Bowland, Sun 26th July

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulB

Legendary Member
Even if we'd changed it to today we may have regretted it so we've deffo made the right decision to put off tomorrow's ride. We rode up through Horton to Ribblehead then down to Clapham via Ingleborough and back via Giggleswick. The wind from the Station Inn at Ribblehead to Inglebrough was horrendous. It was a vicious head wind that was so strong, you couldn't think straight! Thankfully we were sheltered from high side winds for the remainder of the ride but even so, we had a right buffeting.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
trio25 said:
Probably bore-flu!

So next weekend it is, Boss is away so I can't check my availability! So will let you know when she comes back.

PaulB said:
Even if we'd changed it to today we may have regretted it so we've deffo made the right decision to put off tomorrow's ride. We rode up through Horton to Ribblehead then down to Clapham via Ingleborough and back via Giggleswick. The wind from the Station Inn at Ribblehead to Inglebrough was horrendous. It was a vicious head wind that was so strong, you couldn't think straight! Thankfully we were sheltered from high side winds for the remainder of the ride but even so, we had a right buffeting.
I went out for a walk and was thinking how windy it was. The forecast for my route tomorrow is still for a tailwind on the way out and a wall of wind coming back.

To be honest (and yes, it is a bore! :smile:) I wasn't capable of doing much cycling this weekend. I felt okay walking along the Rochdale canal towpath but when I walked up the Pennine Bridleway at Jumble Hole Clough (from Callis Bridge) my heart was racing and I started to feel sick. I'm going to rest now until Thursday. If I feel okay on Thursday, I'll ride my 20 mile local loop over Blackstone Edge to see if I'm gonna be okay for the weekend. If I can't cope with that, I won't be able to do 100 miles 2 days later.

Trio has my GPX file of the route, so if I can't make it she can lead the way (assuming that she gets permission!). I'm still hoping to come along though - I've been looking forward to riding this route.

PS

I had a late night watching my recording of yesterday's TdF stage up the Ventoux but I hopped out of bed at 08:00 to check the weather. It was dry and there was no wind whatsoever. I thought that the forecasters had got it completely wrong again. I went back to bed and after about 15 minutes I heard a wind pick up and then the rain started lashing down. We'd have got soaked going up the first hill! Since then it has been as forecast here - windy, with showers and drizzle. Not super-bad, but not particularly tempting either.

Hopefully it will be nicer next Saturday!

PaulB

Legendary Member
So, we all still up for this tomorrow? Forecast is for a very wet start brightening later towards afternoon.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I'm still suffering with the tail end of the dreaded lurgy so I'm going to have to be sensible and pull out too.

If trio is up for it, then you still have a navigator, but without GPS I could see you having major navigational problems. If you want to leave it to a later date, I'll definitely have a go at this route some time but it's not one to tackle when feeling as below par as I currently do. Sorry for letting you down again folks. :biggrin:

I wanted to do the Malham ride before attempting the WYCR because it would be like doing the hardest 100 miles of the 150-odd miles of the WYCR. If I struggle with the Malham route then the WYCR would be way too much. If OTOH I get on okay with it, the WYCR would be like 'only' another 50 flattish miles on top of that.

I might try and do my 20 mile local loop on Sunday when better weather is forecast, but I think even that might be a struggle feeling the way I do.

RedBike

If trio is up for it, then you still have a navigator, but without GPS I could see you having major navigational problems. If you want to leave it to a later date, I'll definitely have a go at this route some time but it's not one to tackle when feeling as below par as I currently do. Sorry for letting you down again folks. :biggrin:

I think Trio is working. I know I haven't arranged to give her a lift to the start!

longers

Legendary Member
Shame you're not better Colin. GWS eh?

If there's no navigators, I'll give it a miss then and try and catch up on my sleep deficit instead.

PaulB

Legendary Member
Relying on me to navigate is like relying on a one legged cat to bury a turd on a frozen lake. Looks like another postponement then? Damn you, Carol Kirkwood and your winter-like summer weather forecasts!

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

And to top it all, I've just discovered fraudulent withdrawals from my bank account - damn!!! :smile::angry::angry:

I'll start a new thread about that.

PaulB

Legendary Member
ColinJ said:
And to top it all, I've just discovered fraudulent withdrawals from my bank account - damn!!! :smile::angry::angry:

I'll start a new thread about that.

That sounds like double crap! Earlier this month, I attended a meeting at an hotel in Guildford and of the 24 attendees, 9 have so far had fraudulent withdrawals from their bank accounts on the cards they used to pay their bills and all of them two days after checking out!

Bokonon

Über Member
If people (who are up to it) are desperate to do a ride this weekend, can we arrange a meet-up somewhere and come up with something? Otherwise there is always Phil and Friends on Sunday.

Sorry to hear about your bank problems Colin.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

PaulB said:
Relying on me to navigate is like relying on a one legged cat to bury a turd on a frozen lake.
And even on top of all the other things, a 4-legged cat has decided that the spot by my back wall where I put out my recycling bags is an excellent place to crap! I picked up my just-emptied paper recycling bag yesterday and was wondering where the yellow mud on the bottom of the bag had come from when the stench suddenly hit me. Why is cat shoot so disgustingly smelly? :angry:

I cleaned the bag and the back yard yesterday but I have now discovered a fresh pile of crap there today. I feel like buyng a cat-hating dog!

I don't think July was my month... :smile:

Top Bottom