Tour de East Anglia

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wallabyhunter

The other female is 61 and it's her first tour and first serious bike experience so even at 30 miles a day I think it'll inevitably spead nto the afternoon!

I think it's great to kick back a gear & help people along. 2 things, first it gets more ppl involved in cycling, but second it alllows the more experienced cyclist to drop back a gear & have a look around "smell the roses" sort of.

Have a great tour
gb

Tony

Indeed. Is nice to amble and natter.

OP
OP
rich p

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Just back. We had a great time averaging just 35m a day so we had plenty of time for church, garden and refreshment stops. The Suffolk/Essex countryside was nicely rural with some fantastic old houses and plush properties to ogle at.
One thing that stood out was the number of 4x4's. They weren't inconsiderate drivers and many of them were driven by women, but why so many? Does it snow more than I thought in EA? Occasionally 4x4's would outnumber cars by 2 to 1 on byways.
The other thing was the lack of cafe stops and it just seems wrong to drink tea in pubs!

CycleTourer

Veteran
rich p said:
One thing that stood out was the number of 4x4's. They weren't inconsiderate drivers and many of them were driven by women, but why so many? Does it snow more than I thought in EA? Occasionally 4x4's would outnumber cars by 2 to 1 on byways.

Don't get me started on 4X4's! Yes, there are just too many of the dam things! We have a light covering of snow on one day of the year here if we are lucky! Unfortunately they are just status symbols to go with the country house in Suffolk, you will have noticed that there probably wasn't a spec of mud on most of them or a tow bar. The nearest that most get to off-road, is bumping over the curb at Waitrose because they are so cr*p at parking them. Don't get me wrong if you are a hill farmer in Wales or the Yorkshire Dales and you need to get feed up to your flock then a 4X4 is probably essential, but in Suffolk it is just OTT.

Sorry, Rant over :sad:

Rich p,

Glad you had a great time, we do have some great countryside in Suffolk. Yes the cafe stops are a bit thin on the ground, but then again so are the rural pubs, they seem to be disappearing at a rate of knots!

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Tell me about the chuffing things ! BTW I hope you didn't get caught up with the saga of the found and then lost 500 kg WW2 bomb in Felixstowe last Monday did you ?

OP
OP
rich p

rich p

ridiculous old lush
FatFellaFromFelixstowe said:
Tell me about the chuffing things ! BTW I hope you didn't get caught up with the saga of the found and then lost 500 kg WW2 bomb in Felixstowe last Monday did you ?

Sort of. We took the H-F ferry privately and got diverted by the police slightly. We did an unscheduled tour of Felixstowe but got back on track eventually. Sadlt the Bawdsey ferry was not running so we had to do a detour through Woodbridge which curiously didn't have a bridge, wooden or otherwise! Mistley wasn't far away though. Sutton Hoo was sadly closed on Tuesdays so I don't know if I missed anything much?

Top Bottom