Tour de France 2015 - may contain nuts and SPOILERS

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

winjim

Smash the cistern
My mum's got her priorities right. Phoned her to organise a visit to meet her granddaughter for the first time:

"Why are you phoning me now? It's the presentations!"

Well I did wait till the race was finished, and I ended the call in time for her to watch Froome get the yellow :laugh:

(Sigh). And it's all over for another year.

I think this year has been the best for years. An excellent route, lots of excitement, thrills and not too many dangerous spills.

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
I've decided that I'd like to see the following changes for 2016:

- Get rid of the podium "girls". I'm sure they could find enough people from the sponsors or VIPs or even bloody children to carry the flowers etc if required.
- Introduce more women's cycling on the rest days. A day of moderate climbs and technical descents and some sprints. A challenge for QOM in the Alps. Finally, a proper race into Paris, concluding with the traditional sprint finish on the Champs-Elysée.
- I can't remember what the third one was, but I'll let them get on with those two for now.

winjim

Smash the cistern
I've decided that I'd like to see the following changes for 2016:

- Get rid of the podium "girls". I'm sure they could find enough people from the sponsors or VIPs or even bloody children to carry the flowers etc if required.
- Introduce more women's cycling on the rest days. A day of moderate climbs and technical descents and some sprints. A challenge for QOM in the Alps. Finally, a proper race into Paris, concluding with the traditional sprint finish on the Champs-Elysée.
- I can't remember what the third one was, but I'll let them get on with those two for now.
Totally this. Unless number three was something rubbish. There's not going to be a full blown women's tour overnight, but adding a few rides here and there, and especially with some climbing, would be a great way to go.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.

Children covered in blood?? That..... Would be...... Interesting :giggle:

Seriously though, they could do a competition or nominate kids from the schools along the route. It would be a rather nice touch methinks! (And they might find someone small enough for Quintana too!).

We need more woman's racing, yes, but as for this third one, I would like them to race up until the last day!!

Last edited:

screenman

Legendary Member
No, I want a women's TDF but I'm realistic about it happening overnight. But I'd like to see them racing on the roads, not just lapping the Champs-Elysée. Call it a compromise for now.

I think you may find there used to be one, but not that we'll supported I think. They do of course still have stage races for women, just that some people for some reason may not know about them.

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
I think you may find there used to be one, but not that we'll supported I think. They do of course still have stage races for women, just that some people for some reason may not know about them.
I know, hence my acceptance that getting a full blown Grand Tour isn't going to happen overnight.

I meant generally, bin the boring parade on the last day for the men, but yes, regarding the woman, it will be small steps.
Nah, I like the parade. It's a day for the majority of them to relax and there's all the magic and excitement of the sprint finish.

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
Just imagine how pissed off you would be if you were within striking distance of winning, but you were not allowed to try though?
:banghead:

I can't talk for the competitors, the teams or the organisers, but I am yet to read anyone's opinion that it wouldn't be contested if mere seconds separated the top two or three on the final day. Quintana could only make up a minute yesterday in his best terrain, the mountains. There's no way he would be able to make up the remaining 70ish seconds on the flat with a sprint finish.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
I know, hence my acceptance that getting a full blown Grand Tour isn't going to happen overnight.

Why not just race the men and woman at the same time (therefore saving time, money and scotching the question of people coming out to support them), with the two different categories?

It would be interesting to see how many of the guys they could outpace.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
:banghead:

I can't talk for the competitors, the teams or the organisers, but I am yet to read anyone's opinion that it wouldn't be contested if mere seconds separated the top two or three on the final day. Quintana could only make up a minute yesterday in his best terrain, the mountains. There's no way he would be able to make up the remaining 70ish seconds on the flat with a sprint finish.

That's ok then, but still, it would make the final stage considerably more interesting anyway! :whistle::giggle:

Top Bottom