Tour de France 2017 ***SPOILERS***

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MikeG

Guru
Sky are the best team, by some way. Would anyone care to speculate on the result if they had a different leader? I mean, if Landa or Kwiatowsky or Bardet had been their leader, I guess most people would suggest that they would have won the Tour, but how far down the list does that go? What about Yates........could Sky have got him around France the fastest?

screenman

Legendary Member
There are many brits it seems would like to see Froome lose, I am not one of them.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Disgusted with the French booing of Froome. He goes out of his way to appease them, he loves and respects their country and their race. And still they boo. And it's not like he's bullying anyone like Armstrong used to do. He seems a thoroughly decent and nice chap..
I agree with you. He doesn't deserve booing as he is a decent, honest and very good cyclist. I heard him speak French too and his level of the language is quite good. I hope he will be applauded in Paris today . The best man won.

OP
OP
brommers

brommers

Years beyond my wisdom
Sky are the best team, by some way. Would anyone care to speculate on the result if they had a different leader? I mean, if Landa or Kwiatowsky or Bardet had been their leader, I guess most people would suggest that they would have won the Tour, but how far down the list does that go? What about Yates........could Sky have got him around France the fastest?
When the Yates boys are racing, they are generally doing it all on their own, the Orica team are very weak in the mountains, so their results are remarkable really, especially given their age.

hoopdriver

Guru
I feel for Froome. He seems a decent guy and a great rider, yet he is carrying the can for Brailsford and Team Sky. True, he very much benefits from Team Sky's ruthless professionalism and "marginal gains" but on his own, he is not, or shouldn't be unpopular. He just ends up being Brailsford's (and Sky's) lightning rod.

MikeG

Guru
When the Yates boys are racing, they are generally doing it all on their own, the Orica team are very weak in the mountains, so their results are remarkable really, especially given their age.

Yeah, but my point is.......if one or other were on the Sky team, and was the team leader, could Sky take them to victory?

I'm not particularly interested in the Yates'. It's a general question about which riders would be good enough to win the Tour if they led the Sky team. Could Barguil have won it, for instance, if he rode (and led) Sky?

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Sky are the best team, by some way. Would anyone care to speculate on the result if they had a different leader?

Froome's final margin of victory is less than his aggregate gain over Uran and Bardet in the time trial stages. For any other rider to have won this year's Tour as leader of Team Sky, they would need to have made bigger gains in the mountains than Froome did, or be at least as good as Froome was in the time trials.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Did he get done for illegal modifications or did they turn a blind eye to that? Maybe they thought anyone mad enough to ride on a sandpaper saddle is already punishing themselves enough.

Top Bottom