Tour de France 2017 ***SPOILERS***

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
brommers

brommers

Years beyond my wisdom
I doubt the Tour de France will ever be subject to a TV rights bidding war worth £5bn.
Alistair Browning Vs. Chris Froome up Mont Ventoux

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Food for thought:
Win the TdF, 3 weeks of hard work: £500 000.
Play / Don't play 1.5 hours of football a week: anything from £200 000 to £500 000.
What a mad world we live in!
So how do you monetise a product which charges the fans nothing to watch.
If you can answer that then you will be a popular man.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
I don't understand your question.
The point is that the tour can only pay out what they bring in. Cycling is free to spectators so doesn't raise much money so can't pay big prizes.
Football tickets cost loads. The sport brings in a huge revenue so can pay huge salaries.
If you can work out how to charge the spectators then you can pay the riders more.

SWSteve

Guru
The point is that the tour can only pay out what they bring in. Cycling is free to spectators so doesn't raise much money so can't pay big prizes.
Football tickets cost loads. The sport brings in a huge revenue so can pay huge salaries.
If you can work out how to charge the spectators then you can pay the riders more.

Also, with the Tour being largely on FTA TV, the bidding can only go so far...

surely no one would out a massive tourism advert behind a paywall

hoopdriver

Guru
I like Froome but I can't see him being the first to win 7 as he will be 35 by then. Too old. Look at Contador, he can't keep up with younger riders anymore.
I don't think he'll win seven either, but...
1- There is no reason for believing he will decline with age at the same rate as Contador
2- He has Team Sky/Brailsford behind him. This last win had much to do with the strength of his team. They could effectively buy him a couple of wins by surrounding him with high priced GC talent to shepherd him along - bearing in mind that by any reckoning Froome is a very strong and tactically clever rider to begin with.

Last edited:
Top Bottom