Tour de France 2017 ***SPOILERS***

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fight.The.Power

I was listening to Alan Brazil on Talksport this morning and there was a lot of discussion about Chris Froome and why he doesn't receive the plaudits he deserves in Britain.
He doesn't seek publicity
He was born in Kenya and lives in Monaco
Jiffygate and TUEs
He's not a rebel or have a quirky personality (Wiggins and Cav)
People are becoming blasé about him winning the TdF
He wasn't the first 'Brit' to win the Tour
He spends very little time in the UK
He's not a track cyclist

Should he promote himself more for the British public or just continue as he is? Does it secretly upset him that he is not an icon with the British public?

I think another factor was the initial spat he had with Wiggins. People (including myself) were at bit miffed at him trying to usurp Wiggins ( who accomplished things I never thought possible for a Brit pre-Wiggins) and I think that perhaps has stayed in the British psyche.

As far as I am concerned all is forgiven and I respect him as a class act but he has never been my Number 1 GC rider.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
I think another factor was the initial spat he had with Wiggins. People (including myself) were at bit miffed at him trying to usurp Wiggins ( who accomplished things I never thought possible for a Brit pre-Wiggins) and I think that perhaps has stayed in the British psyche.

As far as I am concerned all is forgiven and I respect him as a class act but he has never been my Number 1 GC rider.
A significant bit of background at the 2012 Tour was the very fresh in the mind 2011 Vuelta, which Sky probably lost because they backed the wrong horse for too long. So arguably Froome was right to question the continued favouring of Wiggins at the Tour.

Adam4868

Guru
Because he's a 'winner' and were more used to losing ? Plus Wiggins was cool and was a mod,if you didn't know.Anyone else winning the tdf four times would be massive,maybe he is.Im still in France and he's all over papers.

Because he's a 'winner' and were more used to losing ?
This is a load of big hairy cartoon cock and balls; I'm not sure who "we" is, but I am assuming it means "Brits". Therefore "we" are not used to losing. It's something the right-wing press like to trot out with a degree of frequency tho, like they also trot out that to be good at things people need to be "mean", "nasty" and "work 300 hours a week (or something like that)".

Anyway, most people will know who Froome is, few will appreciate the significance of him winning the Tour, more will tut and say "dopers, the lot of them" (again, mostly due to ignorant right-wing press coverage) and then turn to their Murdoch-press newspaper and read about the Murdoch-sponsored borefest that is the English Premiership.

Last edited:
Froome has got pretty much blanket coverage on the sports pages this weekend. Including quite a lot of articles about "Why is no one writing articles about Chris Froome (see pages 3,4 and 5)". I'd guess he's as well known as Chris Hoy, and probably better known than Cav by the general public. (Wild guess, probably wrong).

And no, he won't win sports personality of the year. It'll be that boxing chap who beat the Russian.
Never mind SPOTY, what about the honours system ? Wiggins only wins one Tour and gets a knighthood. Froomey wins 4 and is still just an OBE.

William Fotheringham doesn't think Froome can win it again. He thinks he's in decline now at 32 and the lack of dominance this year and last is pointing towards the end of the Froome era.

He could be right but in mitigation this year was a funny parcours and Froome chose to alter his training to have a stronger third week but if I was one of his rivals I'd be thinking along the same lines. Next year could well see a stronger line up if that's the case as they all think they might be able to unseat him.

One thing is for sure, he won't, as Brailsford said, be around for another 5 years.

William Fotheringham doesn't think Froome can win it again. He thinks he's in decline now at 32 and the lack of dominance this year and last is pointing towards the end of the Froome era.

He could be right but in mitigation this year was a funny parcours and Froome chose to alter his training to have a stronger third week but if I was one of his rivals I'd be thinking along the same lines. Next year could well see a stronger line up if that's the case as they all think they might be able to unseat him.

One thing is for sure, he won't, as Brailsford said, be around for another 5 years.
He deffo will not win 7.

He might win 1 more, maybe.

Brailsford is a complete bell-end (which has nothing to do with anything mentioned beforehand, but it is worth stating)

This is either a wind-up or you've forgotten that he's a multiple Olympic and world champion, not to mention the record holder for 1 hour.
Endurance track events at the Olympics and Worlds are a side show, an opportunity to be a big fish in a little pond. Likewise the Hour record. All very worthy but they don't compare with the Classics and Grand Tours.

Top Bottom