Tour de France 2018 **SPOILERS**

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
What do we make of the story about Dumoulin losing his skinsuit? Lionel Birnie was cynical, suggesting it was a stunt to plug local firm Etxeondo. Looking at the Dumoulin interview again, he does seem to be struggling to keep a straight face when asked about it.
I'm with Napalm. Kudos to him for immediately following it with a Rapha plug.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Those of you with long memories will know that I've been saying Thomas will one day win the Tour de France since 2011, if not earlier. Have to admit I'd pretty much given up hope of it ever happening - largely because until a couple of years ago he seemed more interested in track medals - but I'm pleased to finally have it confirmed that I wasn't just talking shite and he really is that good.

ETA: just searched the archive for what I've said publicly about him in the past. This is a good one: https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/will-cav-leave-sky.106752/post-1948740 - "more of a leader's temperament than Froome" - it seems I was more skeptical of Froome's potential in 2012 than of Thomas's ^_^

Last edited:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I'm really pleased that Thomas won, a genuinely nIce guy, it seems.
It's actually an amazing feat considering the criticism he's had on here and elsewhere with regard to his ability and cycling choices. Me included, I hasten to add.
Spent too long chasing track golds; can't climb in the high mountains; can't sustain it without a jours sans; can't stay in the saddle for 3 weeks without hitting telegraph poles, tarmac, motorbikes.
So glad he proved us all wrong.
Some of that's rather unfair. I doubt the team were letting motorbikes or Warren Bar guy anywhere near G once he took yellow!

OP
OP
rich p

rich p

ridiculous old lush
You can't kid us, you didn't back him in the ptp, shame on you, shame....
Probably because by 2015 Smutch had changed his mind :whistle:^_^

I'm actually embarrassed that I searched out this! :blush::blush::blush:

G is a definite for the Tour and will be a very valuable domestique for Froome. I used to think he had GC potential himself but I can't see it now.

None of us have been kind about Thomas's propensity to come off his bike though. This is one of numerous from me, there was even one about him slipping in the shower but given his slide yesterday, this from 2011 seemed appropriate

Thomas, locked his back wheel, that'll knock his confidence - Jeez, again!

Va Va Froome

Über Member
I'm really pleased that Thomas won, a genuinely nIce guy, it seems.
It's actually an amazing feat considering the criticism he's had on here and elsewhere with regard to his ability and cycling choices. Me included, I hasten to add.
Spent too long chasing track golds; can't climb in the high mountains; can't sustain it without a jours sans; can't stay in the saddle for 3 weeks without hitting telegraph poles, tarmac, motorbikes.
So glad he proved us all wrong.

I've been keeping the fingers crossed that he stayed upright, but expecting him to crash down at some point for more than the last fortnight!
Happy to be proven wrong.

Did everyone else think that if there was going to be another GBR winner of a Grand Tour soon, that we'd be waiting for a Yates?

Perhaps we should let Thomas have the final word on crashes...

“I have been unfortunate in the past,” Thomas said. “A lot of the crashes haven’t been my fault. Some have, obviously. I don’t dwell on it. People talk about it quite a bit, but I just get on with it, and blank it out.”

Adam4868

Guru
This was his time,he's prepared for this Tour more than ever with less racing this year than before.I don't necessarily see him crashing more than others.But that's bike racing,there's always going to be a element of luck involved.I mean Nibali and porte both had the bad luck this time.

Jimidh

Veteran
What do we make of the story about Dumoulin losing his skinsuit? Lionel Birnie was cynical, suggesting it was a stunt to plug local firm Etxeondo. Looking at the Dumoulin interview again, he does seem to be struggling to keep a straight face when asked about it.

I thought so too - great publicity for them though.

Absolutely delighted for G - always comes across as a descent bloke.

I had the pleasure of meeting him a few years ago and he did come across as a down to Earth lad who just loved racing his bike.

Top Bottom