Tour De France 2020 with SPOILERS

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
In a quirk of statistics, Movistar, as usual, are leading the team comp.

beastie

Guru
Froome has still not recovered from his horror crash last year. Not taking him to the tour is fair enough, he has struggled in TA as well. I am amazed how fast he has improved if you think that he was off the bike for 6 months and nearly dead.
Thomas though was obviously good enough to do a job as domestique, but at the time it didn’t look like he was good enough for plan B. He has improved since the Dauphiné. A lot.
He should have a good chance at the Giro with a balanced parcours.
None of Ineos have really been up to speed since the lockdown, which is surprising, marginal gains and all. They haven’t got the preparation right at all.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I'm not sure what else Ineos could have done.
Carapaz and (Amador?) were both thrown in at the deep end, after expecting to peak a month later for the Giro.
I can't see that Thomas would have been able to challenge J-V and Rog given that he's only getting there now at Tirreno-Ad.
Froome would have been no help to a weak Bernal.
Sosa may have been a better bet but he's a work in progress.
Where's Moscon gone these days? Has he punched somebody or got arrested for armed robbery?

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Thomas though was obviously good enough to do a job as domestique, but at the time it didn’t look like he was good enough for plan B. He has improved since the Dauphiné. A lot.
Wasn't the problem that Thomas did look like he might be good enough to be a plan B? Ineos don't seem to like starting with a Plan B. Thomas and Bernal weren't selected as likely winners when they won without the 1 on their back.

And my suggestion wasn't as much about being a likely winner after 3 weeks as giving young Bernal a wise voice in his ear and someone to boss the team between Rowe popping and the final selection. An undercooked G might have been able to do that. A halfcooked Froome maybe but riskier.

Last edited:

beastie

Guru
This is the oddest part. They seem to be unprepared. Bernal going pop may have been an unvaoidable thing - it may have happened anyway - but they seem generally absent. Is van Baarle even there?

Sean Kelly suggested it was because they are highly reliant on altitude training camps. But his voice sent me to sleep before he finished his point.
I think Thomas will be even better by the middle of the Giro, he’s a better racer than a trainer. Some athletes have benefited from slacker lock down in the spring and vice versa. Training in Wales is no substitute for high mountains. Bernal is either sick or injured surely. Sivakov and Carapaz have crashed. Only Kwiatkowski has been up to his usual impressive form.

Adam4868

Guru
Hindsight is a wonderful thing...I don't think Van Baarle has been that bad,Kwiato had done what he can,same for Rowe.Carapaz has crashed how many times ? Sivakov I don't think really found his feet after the first crash,Amadore I nearly forgot about,same for Castroviejo.To be fair to Thomas I couldn't see him not beating the likes of Valverde yesterday,he could of been a plan B but it's all hearsay now.
Nobody could of see the blow up of Bernal that's for sure,you can't really say he's been that bad before yesterday.He looked broken in his interview" I lost three years of my life today,Bernal admitted in the immediate aftermath to Stage 15 ! "
He'll be back,ill stick my neck out and say he'll win it again.
Another way of looking at it is...you take three ex Movistar riders to the tour,what do you expect :laugh:

Last edited:

beastie

Guru
Nobody could of see the blow up of Bernal that's for sure,you can't really say he's been that bad before yesterday.He looked broken in his interview" I lost three years of my life today,Bernal admitted in the immediate aftermath to Stage 15 ! "
He'll be back,ill stick my neck out and say he'll win it again.
Another way of looking at it is...you take three ex Movistar riders to the tour,what do you expect :laugh:
Bernal still has two more Tours as a young rider......He could easily win two or three. Conversely he could easily never win another GT. Quintana was gonna dominate for years after his Giro but not yet...

Adam4868

Guru
Bernal still has two more Tours as a young rider......He could easily win two or three. Conversely he could easily never win another GT. Quintana was gonna dominate for years after his Giro but not yet...
I think he will win again.A hell of a lot of pressure on him this year.In fact I think he will find his legs still in this tour and we might get a stage win yet 😁

beastie

Guru
In fact I think he will find his legs still in this tour and we might get a stage win yet 😁
I don’t see how a Jour sans can be so bad and not be an underlying issue. Him winning a stage would be as big a shock as the implosion yesterday.... I’ll give you 2-1?😀

Top Bottom