Tour De France 2020 with SPOILERS

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

beastie

Guru
I'm not having the Roglic lost the Tour...it was Pogacar that won it.Never gave up,no real tactics other than "go for it" Roglic and Jumbo rode the race to perfection.Team took stages etc.Dumoulin,Van Aert,Kuss were something else ! Pure determination won it for Pogacar.After three weeks of racing who could of seen that ride today
I'm not biased really šŸ˜
Roglic and Jumbo didnā€™t really race to perfection though, because Pogacar was still in range for the TT. With the strength of team and Roglic apparently so strong a more aggressive approach in the first few weeks might have built a bigger cushion.
Jumbo raced like Sky 2012 except that Roglic is not a TTā€™er of the Calibre of Wiggins. Jumbo should have raced like the Sky of Froome, using the strengths of the team to put everyone into the red and then have Roglic go full gas for 20mins....
Or maybe Roglic wasnā€™t really any stronger than Pog on the climbs and didnā€™t have it in his legs to attack, but he should have tried once or twice.
Hindsight is great isnā€™t it!!!

That was probably the best ITT Iā€™ve watched, and I saw LeMond vs Fignon.....

Pogacar has done 2 GTā€™s. He has 6 stage wins, 2 young rider,1 mountains, a podium and 1 GC. Plus heā€™s Slovenian TT champion and heā€™s only 21 FFS....awesome!!

beastie

Guru
Iā€™m already looking forward to next year, and itā€™s only 9 months away. Froome maybe back to full fitness. Bernal or Carapaz or Thomas or Yates, Pog and Rog, Tom D and WVA.

SWSteve

Guru
my memory might be completely shot, but this reminded me of when TommyD won the Giro in the Itt.
Facts suggest Nairo started the stage in Pink, but Tom put in a huge performance and stole the giro from him.
My memory is somehow reversed, where Tom was the last rider, caught Nairo after 5 minutes of starting and sat on Nairos wheel to take 2 minutes off him and guarantee the Giro win.
not sure which is true, but I like the idea of whoever wins the race spending 40 minutes burning it into the retinas of their biggest challenger

Adam4868

Guru
Roglic and Jumbo didnā€™t really race to perfection though, because Pogacar was still in range for the TT. With the strength of team and Roglic apparently so strong a more aggressive approach in the first few weeks might have built a bigger cushion.
Jumbo raced like Sky 2012 except that Roglic is not a TTā€™er of the Calibre of Wiggins. Jumbo should have raced like the Sky of Froome, using the strengths of the team to put everyone into the red and then have Roglic go full gas for 20mins....
Take your point but a minute should have been enough.Pogacar was on a different level yesterday and let's not forget he's been riding full gas for the last three weeks.
Not taking anything away from Roglic as he would have been a worthy winner,but he's had a team behind him that looked unbreakable.Was Bernal not.early on saying something like "it's not me,I'm hitting all my targets.There just better ! "
Back to yesterday's ride..the three favourites Roglic,Van Aert and Dumoulin all got smashed by Pogacar.There was only Dumoulin who was faster on the flat,but when they got to the climb it was Pogacar that smashed it.I think I read he now has the fastest time yesterday up it ?
So yes Roglic had a bit of a stinker yesterday,but Pogacar was definately the strongest rider at the Tour and a deserved winner.

Adam4868

Guru
No suprises and a deserved winner in Marc Hirshi (Sunweb) who wins the Tour's "supercombativity" prize !
Also Movistar those tactical geniuses take the team classification award.
(How they win that,feck knows)

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
JV always thought the TT was a trump card and their man could be relied upon to at least not lose any time to the contenders and probably put time into them

So they rode defensively after Pog and Porte lost time in the crosswinds. There were opportunities to attack and certainly they must regret not following Pog attack on S8

Then Pog has TT of his life and their guy has a relatively bad day and the rest is history

beastie

Guru
Take your point but a minute should have been enough.Pogacar was on a different level yesterday and let's not forget he's been riding full gas for the last three weeks.
Not taking anything away from Roglic as he would have been a worthy winner,but he's had a team behind him that looked unbreakable.Was Bernal not.early on saying something like "it's not me,I'm hitting all my targets.There just better ! "
Back to yesterday's ride..the three favourites Roglic,Van Aert and Dumoulin all got smashed by Pogacar.There was only Dumoulin who was faster on the flat,but when they got to the climb it was Pogacar that smashed it.I think I read he now has the fastest time yesterday up it ?
So yes Roglic had a bit of a stinker yesterday,but Pogacar was definately the strongest rider at the Tour and a deserved winner.
I donā€™t know if Roglic had a bad ride apart from the climb, and yes Pog was absolutely flying. One minute is never a secure lead in a grand tour. Itā€™s only one mechanical, one badly timed puncture, one crash, one bad day away from disaster.

Top Bottom