Tour de France 2022 with SPOILERS

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Spoiler #1: The big glossy TdF mag is a bit disappointing this year.

I buy it every year. It has nice maps and stage guides, and best of all free socks and other tat. It's an annual ritual. My wife throws the tat at me and I pretend to be at the roadside, pushing 10 year old French children out of the way to catch it.

Now, this year's tat is OK - a pair of socks and some coasters. The coasters are a step up in quality from beer mats, and have some rather bad artwork on them including pictures of Merckx and Anquetil that don't look much like them. So 7/10 for tat.

But what's disappointing is the stage guide. Most of the stages have a little message saying that the stage profile was unavailable at the time of going to press, with a QR code to link to the TdF website. WTF? There's a map of the route opposite, so the profile is hardly a mystery. And the stage profile is the first thing that you look at in a stage guide. Also, for those few stage guides that do have profiles, they are printed in pale yellow on white so they are very indistinct. So 2/10 for the stage guide.

I'm wearing the socks as I type.

Here's an example. All but 5 of the stages are like this:
1653393233672.png

Last edited:

rich p

ridiculous old lush
My wife throws the tat at me and I pretend to be at the roadside, pushing 10 year old French children out of the way to catch it.

^_^^_^^_^

I'll miss the socks if I don't buy it after your review - what a dilemma!

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I'm wondering if Bardet and Lopez (I'm not picking him again!!!) will do the Tour after bailing out of the Giro?

But what's disappointing is the stage guide. Most of the stages have a little message saying that the stage profile was unavailable at the time of going to press, with a QR code to link to the TdF website. WTF?

Sounds an utter waste of time! The stage profiles mystery is possibly not their fault, but still ...

If I buy anything, I hold out for the Cycling Weakley preview edition - usually much cheaper, and (as you have confirmed) more upto date!

Pah. The stage profiles are the most important bit.

BurningLegs

Veteran
I usually buy it, too but might try another publication this year. Anyone who picks up a good one please post the tip-off here!

OP
OP
Dogtrousers

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Are you sure those came out of the mag?
They look like something my near blind aunty knitted...they are not festooned with 'LeTour' logos etc.!
Or have you put them on inside out?

Admittedly they aren't as snazzy as previous years. But look at these amazing coasters! Be the envy of your friends!
1653392165535.png

Top Bottom