Tour de France 2022 with SPOILERS

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Adam4868

Guru
I'd put more TT in.

I don't think the winner should necessarily be the one with the highest watts/kg. Whilst it was "another era" I liked the idea of Indurain sticking it to the pipcleaners in the TTs and then desperately trying to hang with them in the mountains. Of course what's happened is the pipecleaners have got better at TTs and the TTers have got better at climbing, which is a pity as it somewhat homogenises the field
Totally disagree...how many on here find TTs exciting ? The vast majority of armchair fans want mountains and suffering.Nobody sits through a whole days of ITTs,well not many.Ive been to a few in the flesh so to speak.Id bring back team TTs though !
Cycling has moved so far on from the days of Indurain...do you think Van Aert could win a three week race ? Tough one to call,I don't personally.But he can sprint,climb TT with the best of them.Maybe he doesn't want to.I think we're seeing some of the best GC cyclists ever,keep it how it is and enjoy it.😁

Legs

usually riding on Zwift...
I'd put more TT in.

I don't think the winner should necessarily be the one with the highest watts/kg. Whilst it was "another era" I liked the idea of Indurain sticking it to the pipcleaners in the TTs and then desperately trying to hang with them in the mountains. Of course what's happened is the pipecleaners have got better at TTs and the TTers have got better at climbing, which is a pity as it somewhat homogenises the field

What's also happened is that, with the more scientific approach to racing (constantly watching power, being fed information by DSes etc etc), the racing is more conservative and only really happens in the last few kilometres of a summit finish. Andy Schleck's 2011 attack on the stage to the Galibier was the last time that I remember a real long-range attack that shook up the Tour GC. (see also: Froome on that Giro gravel stage...)

Additionally riders aren't making so many tactical errors so you don't get people massively overstretching themselves and blowing up, which can lead to an exciting yoyo GC battle (see: 2006, Landis' exploits and Pereiro being 'accidentally' allowed back into GC contention)

OP
OP
Dogtrousers

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Not sure I have any suggestion to change it that isn't either stupid, or would have unforeseen problems.

I'm not bothered about cobbles. A cobbled stage every few years is fine by me. For watching I like TTTs as I think it's great to watch a team working well together, and it's even better to watch a team balls it up completely. So a TTT every now and then is good. I'm also a fan of the green jersey comp and wouldn't like to see it devalued, so I still want to see some proper flat sprint stages with a doomed breakaway and everyone moaning that it's boring and praying for crosswinds.

Adam4868

Guru
Not sure I have any suggestion to change it that isn't either stupid, or would have unforeseen problems.

I'm not bothered about cobbles. A cobbled stage every few years is fine by me. For watching I like TTTs as I think it's great to watch a team working well together, and it's even better to watch a team balls it up completely. So a TTT every now and then is good. I'm also a fan of the green jersey comp and wouldn't like to see it devalued, so I still want to see some proper flat sprint stages with a doomed breakaway and everyone moaning that it's boring and praying for crosswinds.
Roughly translated as you'd change nowt 😁

WELLL ..
We already have two TTs (most years). I really don't like them (and i've said so!). As in the Giro, have a proper road stage instead of the stoopid prologue TT, preferably flattish so that a non-climber gets a go in the Yellow Jumper. Have a decent length TT somewhere in the middle, so that - as posted above - maybe the Indurain-types can turn things into a more interesting contest.

(And obviously keep the Champs Elysees finale. That goes without saying ...)

T4tomo

Guru
Retiring or still riding the classics / one day races?

Top Bottom