Tour de France 2022 with SPOILERS

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
So now that the dust has settled, it seems that everyone who is "into" cycling thought this was one of the best TdF in living memory. With so few pure sprint stages there was plenty of room for interesting rolling murito stages. I wonder if the organisers will get positive viewing figures (bearing in mind most people who watch TdF on the telly aren't "into" cycling) and it will encourage them to make this a more permanent shift away from the sprinters and more towards the rouleurs?

Maybe we will then see a change in the composition of teams? It's hard to justify a pure sprinter (and associated lead out personnel) unless they're really really good as there are so few win opportunities. I hope so

In my dream as the person running the TdF I'd put loads of pan flat TTing in there to give the likes of Ganna and Van Aert a huge time buffer over the skinny pipecleaner climbers and then watch the drama unfold

I'd take out all the sprint racing, the points race, the TT's and the spotty jersey malarky. And the daft ride into Paris cobblers.

Pure GC only.

Alex321

Veteran
I'd take out all the sprint racing, the points race, the TT's and the spotty jersey malarky. And the daft ride into Paris cobblers.

Pure GC only.

There are only ever at most half a dozen serious GC contenders, and without the other competitions, teams without one of those would have little incentive to enter.

It also Imo adds quite a bit to the interest, as differing strategies play out between riders competing for the other jerseys or just for stage wins.

OP
OP
Dogtrousers

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler

Pure GC only.

Just for a bit of balance, I'm a fan of the green jersey competition and the rather few decent sprints and the failure of the competition to get going has been a bit of a negative for me this year. Probably the only negative this year really.

The daft ride to Paris is nothing to be worried about, it's just an extended neutralised zone before the rather delayed départ réel in Paris for the Champs Elysees circuits and sprint. Just tune in a bit later on.

But anyway, they're going to have to move the finish in future editions because of works in Paris for the Olympics aren't they?

Last edited:
Reactions: mjr
OP
OP
Dogtrousers

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I think only for the one year (2024).

I believe it will finish in Nice that year.

I'm probably making this up but I thought that as part of works for the Olympics they were doing something to the Champs Elysees that meant they couldn't do the finish there anymore, so couldn't go back??? I' m probably just imagining things.

Chislenko

Veteran
I'm crap at spelling/grammer...but if it bothers you I'll correct it ?

No Adam, it doesn't bother me but I know there are some grammar police on here.

I fall into the crap at spelling bracket as well so no worries.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey

Pure GC only.

I'd put more TT in.

I don't think the winner should necessarily be the one with the highest watts/kg. Whilst it was "another era" I liked the idea of Indurain sticking it to the pipcleaners in the TTs and then desperately trying to hang with them in the mountains. Of course what's happened is the pipecleaners have got better at TTs and the TTers have got better at climbing, which is a pity as it somewhat homogenises the field

Top Bottom