Tour de France 2022 with SPOILERS

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Doping or not I have a huge dislike of Rob Hatch.

I think he's a terrible commentator. Top language skills though.
(now, does anyone know what Hugh Porter brought to the table ... )

Adam4868

Guru
I think he's a terrible commentator. Top language skills though.
Seriously ? I think he's one of the most knowledgeable there is...now weather you like his pronunciations and accents is a different thing.But it's a great skill and not easy to do.

OP
OP
Dogtrousers

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Seriously ? I think he's one of the most knowledgeable there is...now weather you like his pronunciations and accents is a different thing.But it's a great skill and not easy to do.

I'm not anti-Hatch, I think he's pretty good ... until the you get to the finish. He gets a bit shouty and he's not really a master of shouting. And he really must come up with a new phrase instead of "oh, no, no, no, no" when he sees a crash.

now weather you like his pronunciations and accents is a different thing.But it's a great skill and not easy to do.

Who are you arguing with now?? :laugh:

And he really must come up with a new phrase instead of "oh, no, no, no, no" when he sees a crash.

That's exactly the sort of thing I have a problem with.
Also shouting "Sagan!" (for example), without actually telling us anything useful. It's just a stream of consciousness pouring out of his gob.

(He might be the world expert on everything cycling - from technology to chateaux, palmares to gear-ratios - but he doesn't convey any of it, to me, in any coherent form.)

Last edited:

Aravis

Putrid Donut
And the maillot sable, for the first rider to finish over an hour behind the winner ( https://cyclingtips.com/2019/07/the-maillot-sable-classification/ ) goes to ....

Tom Pidcock 1hr 1min 15 seconds off the lead.
The fight for sable was one of the most compelling features of the last few days, sadly receiving little of the attention it deserved. Sepp Kuss appeared to be comfortably placed, needing to lose just 65 seconds to yellow in the TT. Pidcock's task was far harder, the gap he needed to bridge being over five minutes, and he still had to fit into any space Kuss might have left. But his perfectly judged effort put him into sable by 81 seconds from Kuss, and 68 seconds beyond the qualifying standard.

He still had to be careful yesterday, as Kuss was part of the Jumbo pose-fest. Sensibly he finished alone, 7 seconds further back, far enough not to be in any incriminating photographs.

I think he knew.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
So now that the dust has settled, it seems that everyone who is "into" cycling thought this was one of the best TdF in living memory. With so few pure sprint stages there was plenty of room for interesting rolling murito stages. I wonder if the organisers will get positive viewing figures (bearing in mind most people who watch TdF on the telly aren't "into" cycling) and it will encourage them to make this a more permanent shift away from the sprinters and more towards the rouleurs?

Maybe we will then see a change in the composition of teams? It's hard to justify a pure sprinter (and associated lead out personnel) unless they're really really good as there are so few win opportunities. I hope so

In my dream as the person running the TdF I'd put loads of pan flat TTing in there to give the likes of Ganna and Van Aert a huge time buffer over the skinny pipecleaner climbers and then watch the drama unfold

Cathryn

Legendary Member
He seems to have had a resurgence recently. I shouldn't talk I guess, being a fan of well-spoken Millar, but the Lance thing does surprise me.
Then again, look how many 'mercins voted Trump ...

I don’t know if any stories or proof of Millar being such a bully and as deeply unpleasant as Lance but maybe I’m being hypocritical. I find Lance deeply repulsive in so many ways.

Top Bottom