Tour de France in the classroom?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Speicher

Vice Admiral
Look Noodley - just because you are tall enough not to need a ladder :biggrin:.
(and I hope you and Davyo did not miss my post near the end of the last page) :smile:.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Sh4rkyBloke said:
Something simple to start with - ask a few of them where they live and plot roughly on Google Maps... then show the distance away for one stage that the riders complete in a day.... pretty scary/inspiring!

If you do that why not ask them how long they THINK it would take to cycle from their house, then get them to calculate how long it would take at 12 mph then how much at the speed they riders are going at?

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
nigelnorris said:
I'm not sure that I agree that this is gender specific. Frankly I think that all of them will be unimpressed at first, but I do think that there is the potential to make an impression with one or two sprint finishes, impress them with flashy colours and some background vids of Monaco, a few big yachts etc.

It's the glamour of the thing that might pull them in is what I'm hoping. Just need a hook of some sort to grab them intially, maybe the rest will follow.

And textbooks = definitely fail, but google maps and real life footage might carry it through :welcome:

Are you relatively new to teaching? I admire your optimism but knowing the kids that I teach, I'd count myself lucky to get a week's worth of lessons delivered before they get bored and ask for something more interesting.

Bigtwin

vernon said:
Are you relatively new to teaching? I admire your optimism but knowing the kids that I teach, I'd count myself lucky to get a week's worth of lessons delivered before they get bored and ask for something more interesting.

I have to say I agree. My 6 yr old is about as keen on cycling as he could be - actually doing it that is.

Watching the TDF is a 2 min max for him. Nothing much happens for hours, then there's a sprint (generally) when people he can't really identify race for some points/places he doesn't really understand, and there are no engines.

He like a decent crash though, to be fair.

OP
OP
nigelnorris

nigelnorris

vernon said:
Doesn't matter, if they get bored I'll restrict it to a 15 minute starter. They get bored with that and I'll kill it off completely, like all good experiments I'll have learned something even if the result turns out to be negative. As I say it's the end of term and now seems like a good time to play fast and loose with the SoW. If it works then I have something to turn to every year about now, if it doesn't it's cost me nothing more than a few hours research. :welcome:

Landslide

Rare Migrant
Whether or not the kids are mad keen on cycling, I'd wager they'll find a maths lesson with a theme and some degree of whizzy interaction way more interesting than a maths lesson without.

Landslide said:
Whether or not the kids are mad keen on cycling, I'd wager they'll find a maths lesson with a theme and some degree of whizzy interaction way more interesting than a maths lesson without.

I use three different sizes of Pennies to do a maths lesson - kids love it!

Especially as they get to ride the smaller ones at the end:smile:

Top Bottom