Tour de France in the classroom?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
nigelnorris

nigelnorris

Lots of good ideas, I'll post back with details when I've come up with my own interpretations of them.

It's occured to me that this could solve my parking dilemma too, just dump my bike at the front of the classroom and use it as a teaching prop :rain:

I'm also thinking maybe leave the suit at home and teach in full cycling gear, maybe just for a day, that'd send them home talking about their maths lessons!

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
nigelnorris said:
It's occured to me that this could solve my parking dilemma too, just dump my bike at the front of the classroom and use it as a teaching prop :rain:

Equally it could create more of a problem if you manage to enthuse the kids about cycling ... they could all be trying to get to that drainpipe first:biggrin:

Bit doubtful about this - the kids will wan't to know what the top riders are taking in order to sprint up the hills and what all that Pantani graffiti on the roads is about.

Will1985

Über Member
accountantpete said:
Bit doubtful about this - the kids will wan't to know what the top riders are taking in order to sprint up the hills and what all that Pantani graffiti on the roads is about.
Then it can be turned into a PHSE lesson - "Don't do drugs kids - drugs are baaaaad".

surfgurl

Will1985 said:
Then it can be turned into a PHSE lesson - "Don't do drugs kids - drugs are baaaaad".

Oh yes, remember to make it cross curricular and tick all the boxes for OFSTED. Awareness of other cultures, etc.

Could you do something on calorie intake and expenditure, fluid intake etc?

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
I'd have thought most of the potential was on the hills :biggrin:. Explaining gradient, Pythagoras' theorem and trigonometry in terms of average climbs. Also force, work and power up hills.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Here we go... your the maths expert, so you can work out the sums, but how about bringing in your bike, hooking it (somehow) to a generator or summat, and see how much power the kids can produce? The naughty ones could even be made to power the telly while the rest of you enjoy the Tour :biggrin:

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
I suppose you could phrase questions for teaching sums in terms of how many bananas, gel packs and energy drinks they need to consume.

OP
OP
nigelnorris

nigelnorris

marinyork said:
I suppose you could phrase questions for teaching sums in terms of how many bananas, gel packs and energy drinks they need to consume.
There's no suppose about it, it's going to happen. Need to check out the found a bargain thread and look up that free goodies pack to take in and show them :biggrin:

Top Bottom