Tour de France in the classroom?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
nigelnorris

nigelnorris

Got cut off half way through my last reply.

Fnaaaaaar, Marinyork, and others who've posted great ideas - if you have any links to anything I could use to get the actual stats I'd be grateful. I can do the sums but don't at the moment know much (anything :biggrin:) about wattage, energy used on the road etc.

The cool thing is that almost all of this is part of the curriculum and would have been taught anyway. Being able to add real life context is what will make it work I hope.

As for banana radios, I'm down with that :wacko:

Noodley

Dayvo said:
PassED is the past tense of pass. i.e. speed passed.

Past is used with time: the past year; half past etc.

Listen here laddie! If you are going to be pedantic at least be right when you try it! :smile:

Past can be an adverb....:ohmy:

Noodley said:
Listen here laddie! If you are going to be pedantic at least be right when you try it! :smile:

Past can be an adverb....:ohmy:

But Mister, read this, taken from http://www.englishchick.com/grammar/grconf.htm

Past/passed
Past is an adjective meaning "before now." It is also a noun meaning "the time before now."
Yesterday is part of the past; let's think about today.
Xena regrets her past.

Passed is a participle -- that is, a verb-form. Always use it as a verb. It's the past-participle form of the verb "to pass" meaning "to give" or "to move" or, in games, "to decline one's turn."
Xena passed this way yesterday.
Xena passed Gabrielle some nutbread.
I didn't have enough points to bid, so I passed.
Some people also use it euphemistically for death:

My grandfather passed (or passed away) last year.

Noodley

I'm still right.

In the context I used the word it was an adverb.

It matters not that past can be an adjective as it was not used as an adjective.

yello

Oi! This is maths not English!

And 'past' can also be a noun... which makes 'speed past' very interesting; consider 'He had a speed past'!!

Speicher

Vice Admiral
Dayvo said:
It's 'English', Noodley: not Scottish! ;)

Face it, Dayvo and Noodley, you are both passed pissed past it. ;):tongue::laugh::sad:

* runs for cover *

(While calculating my acceleration, compared with that of chasing cyclists, and have I consumed enough calories to maintain adequate speed).

Also calculates trajectory of any object thrown in my direction, and angle of zig zag to avoid missiles.

TfL did a whole series of lesson plans all around the 2007 tour in London. They still had a stack of them at the schools conference I was at on Friday.

I'll see if I can get one for you.

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
Something simple to start with - ask a few of them where they live and plot roughly on Google Maps... then show the distance away for one stage that the riders complete in a day.... pretty scary/inspiring!

Speed's always a good one - compare with them running (i.e. fastest in school/world does 100m in XX (show the distance for real)) and then ask how long they think Cav would take to cover same distance.

Gradient distances - Mt Ventoux would be from here to X... all uphill at (roughly) this gradient (demonstrate somehow).

OP
OP
nigelnorris

nigelnorris

Hilldodger said:
TfL did a whole series of lesson plans all around the 2007 tour in London. They still had a stack of them at the schools conference I was at on Friday.

I'll see if I can get one for you.
That sounds like a wonderous thing to have, thanks :biggrin:

Speicher

Vice Admiral
When I cast my mind back many decades to maths at school - we did such boring examples - like the ladder leaning against the wall and the gravitational forces exerted on it. Not much relation to real life, because when someone wants to lean a ladder, they also take into account the softness, slipperyness etc of the ground and the weight of the Bloke on the ladder. Same as digging that trench. If you calculate how long it will take three men, you are not suddenly going to have twelve men turn up for work are you. :biggrin:

My point is, and there is one, :smile: your topic seems much more relevant to real mathematics in situations.

You have been given lots of good ideas. Would you like some more?

What about the finances involved, and balancing budgets? The budget for a team in the TdeF for a race might be X Euros. There is transport, hotels, food, incidentals, new wheels, not to mention wages. Some of these would be fixed costs of-course, but some negotiable. Plus the prize money going in the "pot". Then if it goes into Switzerland, which some years it does, the costs have to be recalculated into Swiss Francs.

Then there is time management. Loading a team and bikes onto transport takes x hours, and you have to travel x miles/kilometres at an average speed of x, and then setting up takes x long, what time does the team have breakfast? :smile: One of the vehicles breaks down at town A, how long does it take another vehicle to reach it from town B?

Noodley

Speicher said:
When I cast my mind back many decades to maths at school - we did such boring examples - like the ladder leaning against the wall....

Ladders had been invented back then!??? :biggrin::laugh:

Top Bottom