Tour de France - Stage 19 - SPOILER

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Nice, well done Cav

What, for running out of time? :rolleyes::tongue:

#3 has been glued to the highlights all week...

1311360481419.jpg

"One day Mummy, i'm going to do that..and win"

In a few years time then, I'll look out for a ginger guy called Funnymummy (Hash)3*..... unless he has changed it to something more sensible when he's older! (The Beckhams would be proud of you!) :biggrin:

* - I don't have a hash key on this ere Mac keyboard.

RedRider

Pulling through
I've enjoyed this year's tour more than any other.

A question - under what circumstances would the GC be contested on the final day?

I asked a similar question earlier in the thread. There was the Lemond/Fignon showdown a few years back but that was a final stage time trial.

I guess the sprinters' teams will always want to set up a sprint on the Champs Elysee and an attack from a GC contender would not only be defended by sprinters' teams but also the teams of GC rivals.

I suppose the only way a GC contender could overtake their rival would be to take advantage of crash/injury. Other than that I can't think of a circumstance unless one of the GC contenders was a great sprinter who could produce a gap in the last few metres.

funnymummy

A Dizzy M.A.B.I.L
What, for running out of time? :rolleyes::tongue:

In a few years time then, I'll look out for a ginger guy called Funnymummy (Hash)3*..... unless he has changed it to something more sensible when he's older! (The Beckhams would be proud of you!) :biggrin:

* - I don't have a hash key on this ere Mac keyboard.

He has POPPY on the bcak of a cycling jersey - Not sure if that's more sensible!
PS..don't call him ginger, he will politely tell you that his dad is ginger, but he is a strawberry & nothing like his dad!!

PpPete

Legendary Member
It's become tradition that no-one attacks on the last day going onto Paris.

True - but waiting for your rival if he had a mechanical was traditional too, as was doping.

Not saying that anyone will try to break up the procession into Paris but this tour has been so exciting I almost wish there was someway it was possible for an attack to succeed, because whichever way the TT goes there is sure to be only a few seconds between Andy and Cadel.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
It's become tradition that no-one attacks on the last day going onto Paris.
That's a myth.

The final stage is flat and the finish with a glorified criterium in Paris does not give any opportunities for a break to succeed. As the winner nearly always arrives on the Champs Elysees with anything up to ten minutes in hand no-one is going to bust a gut to try and gain a few seconds on GC, but if the Tour ever arrived with only a handful of seconds separating the first two the gloves would be off and there would be a real attempt to try and cause a split to overcome the deficit.

You never know, it might come to that tomorrow.

raindog

er.....
That's a myth.
oh, right.

I can't see anyone attacking, even if it is a few seconds and with the stage being flat and one for the sprinters, any break will get pulled rapidly. Only a crash and a fail to finish would change anything.

Fiona N

Veteran
That's a myth.

The final stage is flat and the finish with a glorified criterium in Paris does not give any opportunities for a break to succeed. As the winner nearly always arrives on the Champs Elysees with anything up to ten minutes in hand no-one is going to bust a gut to try and gain a few seconds on GC, but if the Tour ever arrived with only a handful of seconds separating the first two the gloves would be off and there would be a real attempt to try and cause a split to overcome the deficit.

You never know, it might come to that tomorrow.

Hard to see HTC not working with BMC were Leopard-Trek to attack - Cav wants the glory of the Champs Elysee :biggrin:

Top Bottom