Tour de Norf London innit

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

marcw

I commute from East Barnet to Moorgate and have been taking advantage of the nice weather by including 'col de Ali Pali' or 'col de Muswell Hill' on my way home. Any other decent roads to hit? Any recomendations for non-traffic routes would also be helpfull.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Welcome

Being a Sarf londoner myself, I am even struggling to understand your accent;)

Not sure really, although I guess the hills in Hampstead are a good workout.

try this website. it lets you plan a route then look mat the gradient map (button on the right hand side) to calculate climbs and compare. It then allows a nifty "drag" of the route to allow you to tweak it.

www.bikehike.co.uk

keep it up!

HaloJ

Rabid cycle nut
Well you've found two of the nicest climbs of the area. One I used to hate is a little south coming from Tufnell Park up Brecknock Road towards Muswell Hill; it gets slow near the top due to the traffic lights and small traffic queue.

One for a challenge though is the one featured in "100 great cycling climbs", Swain's Lane. Same hill but from a different aspect. It's off the beaten track a little so light in traffic but high on beauty.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&s...=OLm2Obj-o45EnxFcYOtSrg&cbp=12,352.74,,0,6.96

Finally the one I do everyday is the route up from Chalk Farm on Haverstock Hill past Belsize Park and Hampstead station then over the top of the heath finishing with a speedy blast down Bishop's Avenue.

OP
OP
marcw

marcw

Bishops Av is a good idea, rich people = better tarmac, wider roads and no bus stops.

HaloJ

Rabid cycle nut
Bishops Av has poor road surface as it crosses the A1. Quite a pleasant climb when you include a sprint over the top of the heath on Spaniards Road. Swain's Lane is also for the rich and hits 20% at it's steepest point although it's not long at about a mile. Pretty though as it passes between Waterlow Park on the right and Highgate Cemetary on the left.

Also noting that you are on your way to East Barnet have you considered Highwood Hill at the top end of The Ridgeway and also Hendon Wood Lane before then heading East on Barnet Wood Road towards home?

OP
OP
marcw

marcw

did Swains lane on the way home, very pretty and steep. Seemed to find it easier than Muswell hill though. I can't get out of the saddle either as I really don't trust my adjustable stem, it creaks when I put weight on it. Thanks for the other suggestions will give them a go. Going to get a cross bike soon so will also try the sustrans route out of east London and then a blast across Whitewebbs and Trent park.

dondare

Über Member
marcw said:
Bishops Av is a good idea, rich people = better tarmac, wider roads and no bus stops.

Do not agree.
Nasty climb, parked traffic, lots of builders coming and going (rich people never tire of this) and very fast, impatient drivers in both directions.
Not to mention being a really nasty climb.

HaloJ

Rabid cycle nut
"marcw" said:
did Swains lane on the way home, very pretty and steep. Seemed to find it easier than Muswell hill though. I can't get out of the saddle either as I really don't trust my adjustable stem, it creaks when I put weight on it. Thanks for the other suggestions will give them a go. Going to get a cross bike soon so will also try the sustrans route out of east London and then a blast across Whitewebbs and Trent park.

Oooh nice what you buying? That'll be Sustrans #1 then, I've ridden that to as far North as the weir in Cheshunt and as far south as Greenwich. Nice ride but I go slow as I'm scared to death of coming off the path and plunging clipless into the depths of the canal. Still it should be a good blast across the parks. I've not ridden around Enfield Chase only past it up the A111 to play on Staggs Hill and beyond.

I think Muswell hill is a git because of the heavy traffic. It's not an overly difficult climb but with the added concentration of trying not to get squished by a god foresaken 4x4 it feels harder.

HaloJ

Rabid cycle nut
dondare said:
Do not agree.
Nasty climb, parked traffic, lots of builders coming and going (rich people never tire of this) and very fast, impatient drivers in both directions.
Not to mention being a really nasty climb.

Interesting you say that. I generally find the only points I have trouble is approaching the A1 where for some reason drivers tend to want to race up to the line and slam the brakes on rather than coasting and maintaining momentum as a cyclist is want.

Which direction do you feel it's a nasty climb? Southbound up Bishops or do you mean the Northbound drag up Haverstock Hill/Rosslyn Hill/Heath street?

dondare

Über Member
HaloJ said:
Interesting you say that. I generally find the only points I have trouble is approaching the A1 where for some reason drivers tend to want to race up to the line and slam the brakes on rather than coasting and maintaining momentum as a cyclist is want.

Which direction do you feel it's a nasty climb? Southbound up Bishops or do you mean the Northbound drag up Haverstock Hill/Rosslyn Hill/Heath street?

Y'know what, that's my mistake. I was actually thinking of Winnington Road that runs parallel to Bishops Avenue.
Has to be about the same amount of climb, tho'.

HaloJ

Rabid cycle nut
dondare said:
Y'know what, that's my mistake. I was actually thinking of Winnington Road that runs parallel to Bishops Avenue.
Has to be about the same amount of climb, tho'.

Ah yeah I know the one. Had the misfortune of going down it when they had the road works at the top of Bishops/Spaniards. Rubbish road, not very wide, cars either side and some fabulous examples of "Pot Holes that KILL!" *skeetch* *skeetch* *skeetch* (that's the psycho knifey sound btw :biggrin: )

OP
OP
marcw

marcw

getting a Genesis Croix de Fer, I'm up by the greenbelt so have decent access to miles of tracks. Should make a nice change from the daily grind through London. I'll have to try Bishops Av, I don't remember it being a Hill although I've never cycled it and you tend to miss things in a car.

Top Bottom