Tour de Romandie ** SPOILERS **

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Castroviejo won the short prologue with Millar and Thomas not far behind.

Wiggins a distant 77th :ohmy: but only 12 seconds down!

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Of British hopes, I would say that Geraint Thomas's ride in 13th is the most promising, as he seems to be on really good form right now and is turning into a strong all-round rider. Adam Blythe put in a good one too.

raindog

er.....
That was a very, very tough stage. Wet, with lots of hard climbing. Thomas went off the back. Chris Froome road really well, finishing in the top ten alongside Evans.

OP
OP
rich p

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Grotty conditions RD. I was surprised by Thomas dropping back on the first steep bit but Cuddles did well.

raindog

er.....
Brutt will take some catching now on general - he's got more than two minutes on the likes of Vino and Evans.
In the end Froome was 8th today - well done lad.

OP
OP
rich p

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Wiggins lost another 5 minutes today. I thought his strategy was to do well in smaller races this year but he seems unsure of his overall role to me. He should be keeping nearer the front if he intends to show up well in these non GT races or even if he is still really targetting the TdF.

raindog

er.....
Not quite sure what's going on with Brad - this may be an exageration, but his career appears to be almost on the rails. Hope I'm wrong.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Not quite sure what's going on with Brad - this may be an exageration, but his career appears to be almost on the rails. Hope I'm wrong.

He's undoubtedly a nice guy, but I just don't think he has the all-round strength or what it takes mentally to be a consistent contender in the big races.

raindog

er.....
On the rails?? Don't I mean off the rails? :wacko:

There really isn't a leader at Sky is there? Wig doesn't even seem capable of winning prologues anymore, let alone TTs. Flecha and Eddie BH have been disappointing so it just leaves the odd individual to do the best he can when the opportunity arises. They're are strong team of individuals - shame they don't have an Evans to work for.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
There really isn't a leader at Sky is there?

No, that is their biggest problem. I think they were hoping that Wiggins and Lovkvist might be able to fill the role until EBH came on, but EBH is looking increasingly injury-prone. I think they will be doing rather more in the transfer market this year than they did last time around.

oldroadman

Veteran
Sky seem to have lost focus so far this year. They need a big result from someone soon. Flecha and Uran have been close, but not on the top step. Wiggins has probably got the ability, but there has to be a question mark over his mental approach. It may be that he had his best season before Sky, and he's not getting any younger or better right now. The management can talk things up all they like, but a slide down the rankings does not lie.
Thomas has probably got the best physical potential from observation, looks a good classics rider, but in the GT's he still has a lot to do. The only saving grace in all this is that the cleaner peloton is producing some varied results, and riders can't hold form like they used to, for months on end, so maybe things will change around as the season progresses. The Giro will be a pivotal point for some, I think.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Sky seem to have lost focus so far this year. They need a big result from someone soon. Flecha and Uran have been close, but not on the top step. Wiggins has probably got the ability, but there has to be a question mark over his mental approach. It may be that he had his best season before Sky, and he's not getting any younger or better right now. The management can talk things up all they like, but a slide down the rankings does not lie.
Thomas has probably got the best physical potential from observation, looks a good classics rider, but in the GT's he still has a lot to do. The only saving grace in all this is that the cleaner peloton is producing some varied results, and riders can't hold form like they used to, for months on end, so maybe things will change around as the season progresses. The Giro will be a pivotal point for some, I think.

I think Thomas is showing signs of the all-round ability and toughness needed for the classics, but he hasn't got the climbing skills for the GC in the big tours. I think Ben Swift and Alex Dowsett are also brim-full of potential, but neither are GC contenders either.

raindog

er.....
Cunego today. That was a really tough little uphill finish. Good to see Millar show his face at last. Evans looking strong.

Top Bottom