Tour de Yorkshire 2017 Race Comments Only **Spoilers**

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
@Tin Pot thanks for that, and yeah I would agree .

I also know (well, if my knowledge is correct), Sophie Thackrays (Ncc Group-kuota-torelli) dad, uncle, & grandparents
They are the renowned Bradford Olympic cyclo-cross family (no relation, but I class them as friends)

It was indeed, Roberts daughter, as he greeted me warmly, when I came across them, whilst he was watching her on the Turbo warming up
Crikey, it's scary!!, I've known Robert, Richard (her uncle), Norah & Phil since Robert was about 13! (think Sophie's 17?)

https://torelliracing.co.uk/riders/sophie-thackray-2/

She finished, but sadly it looks like Liz didn't

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
It was indeed, Roberts daughter, as he greeted me warmly, when I came across them, whilst he was watching her on the Turbo warming up
Crikey, it's scary!!, I've known Robert, Richard (her uncle), Norah & Phil since Robert was about 13! (think Sophie's 17?)
I watched the women race through Ripon and thought that some of them looked to be still in their teens!

I then went over to Lofthouse to watch the men climb it. Somebody had painted "Go Sophie!" in big white letters on the road right in front of where I was standing and I was wondering who Sophie was!

Buck

Guru
Ah that's a shame.

My mate nearly didn't ride today as he had an "off" last week. He was OK apart from a bit of bruising and skin loss but his bike was a bit mangled.

So, my bike is currently doing the Sportive now !!

ColinJ

It is great watching the peloton tearing round our local roads!

The commentators mentioned how big the cycling clubs in Airedale and Wharfedale are becoming. I have noticed it over the past 20 years or so riding in that area. Lizzie (Armitstead) Deignan has definitely inspired local women riders. I saw about 20 very fit-looking young female club cyclists riding together near Bolton Abbey a month or two back. I never used to see that when I first rode around here.

The wind is picking up now. It was pretty strong yesterday in Nidderdale.

The Silsden climb coming up is a main road drag which shouldn't cause any problems.

The little cobbled climb in Haworth will look nice on TV but isn't too hard.

The Leeming climb has a couple of steep ramps which will help in the war of attrition that this stage will inevitably become.

I haven't ridden Shibden Wall but it is supposed to be tough!

As for the final climbs late in the stage ... We have been discussing them in the sportive thread and the opinion is that they will decimate what is left of the peloton. I have ridden up Ewden Bank and that is a bit of a beast.

I'm looking forward to seeing what unfolds!

Last edited:

ColinJ

Scrub that about the Silsden climb - they are not coming from Addingham - they are riding over from Skipton, so a different climb!

And I am watching delayed means that you have already seen it - ha ha! :laugh:

Buck

Guru
The Shibden Wall is going to be interesting. Any minute now and the leaders will be on it.

We'll start to see attrition setting in for a few now.

Last edited:

J1888

Über Member
That was brilliant watching Fraile bomb forward and leave the rest of the chasing pack for dust, to ensure that his teammate got the win. Superb.

Top Bottom