Tour de Yorkshire 2017

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Berk on a Bike

Veteran
Glad you enjoyed it, but not everybody in Cleckheaton was happy this is from the TDY Facebook page comment section.

Can you get a new TV company? ITV4 were pathetic. they failed to show the crowds in places such as Cleckheaton where there were tens of thousands, a lot of them children and they were ignored. Pathetic at best, indeed ITV4 could be used as a term for just that, worse than pathetic.

This was just one of many responses to this comment, that made me smile.

Just heard... new for 2018, Tour of Cleckheaton... Starts in Cleckheaton, goes round Cleckheaton and ends in Cleckheaton.... cos if it's not Cleckheaton it's not worth watching! CLECKHEATON!!!
There were moans from Birstall residents too because ITV4 cut to commercials just as the peloton was coming through. Some people are never happy LOL.

OP
OP
Mike_P

Mike_P

Guru
There will be moaning for years as well about it; there were people in Knaresborough this year still bemoaning the TdF coverage which was actually perfectly okay. ITV had showed the peloton approaching the town and then the break away going away from it at which point it seems that a number switched off in disgust; thereafter ITV switched back to follow the peloton through the town which a number of locals obviously missed.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
My photos didn't turn out but my cousin sent me some of his ...

Some of the women at the sprint point in Ripon:

TdY 2017 01.jpg

TdY 2017 05.jpg

Some of the men on the Lofthouse climb:

TdY 2017 04.jpg

TdY 2017 03.jpg

TdY 2017 02.jpg

If you look at the 3 flags just down the hill you can see how strong the chilly wind was on that hillside. We sat up there for over 2 hours waiting for the race to pass, which didn't do my cold-bug-riddled lungs much good!

Last edited:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Many thanks for standing in for me and suffering the elements. You did us proud.
I even rode up from Lofthouse village (which you can see in the background down in the valley) to double the suffering for the day. It's a tough job, but someone has to do it! :okay:

One of the riders in the bunch was swigging from a bidon and chatting to his teammates as he rode up past us. It really brought home how fit they are!

4 day event for 2018 confirmed

Top Bottom