Tour de Yorkshire 2017

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Adam4868

Guru
Thing is why change something that working ? Spectator numbers were up,I reckon by year 3 they'd have thought they would of gone down.I fail to see the negatives.

Thing is why change something that working ? Spectator numbers were up,I reckon by year 3 they'd have thought they would of gone down.I fail to see the negatives.
Mu musings started as a result of me being "sure"

I read somewhere that there are contractual arrangements with ASO and growing Yorkshire towards being bigger, but I am a) not sure what this involves b) not sure if this would be the right thing to do and c) hopeful that they do not continue the drive towards bigger being better and take stock of where they want to position themselves within the calendar.

which then led me to witter on a bit.

I just hope they get it right, for change is a-coming. Unless it's not of course. Which wouldn't really do, as I don't really think it's found itself yet.

As for spectator numbers, I reckon you could promote anything as "good for Yorkshire (and we have it, nobody else, cos we're Yorkshire)" and you'd get millions of Yorkshire folk out for fear of them being held responsible for it being shite ;)

OP
OP
Mike_P

Mike_P

Guru
The weather helped no end this year. Remember the artic conditions of the first day last year and pretty torrential rain at times on other days.
Was surprised they largely repeated the Wetherby-Pateley Bridge section one the second day from last year, with a change to follow the B road down the dale. Going from Wetherby to Otley and then Pateley Bridge would have made the day more interesting as they could have quite easily thrown in a stiff climb or two to rival Trapping Hill (aka Cote du Lofthouse). Strikes me that finishes at Harrogate will always be the same as the street furniture has been made easily removable but their would no reason not to approach the town from the east or south and do a big loop around it. Was also surprised to hear in the mens race that someone had been dropped on the climb out of Hampsthwaite (the last village before Harrogate) - its not that severe, just a long drag and they even got it easy as the normal south westerly was not blowing straight at them.

Adam4868

Guru
Are they going to presume that if people don't sign it that it's a vote against having 4 days? ;)
I'm winding you up,it's a fake news site.Its staying at three get used to it !

I know! they could share it between Lancashire and Yorkshire: 3 days in one, 3 days in the other, and a split county day. Both counties trying to outdo the other for routes and fans. They could call it the Tours of the Roses!

Ohh and incorporate local cycling products. Team cars have to use Pendle racks; everyone gets a Vision 1 in case the rain makes it a bit dark, carradice saddle bags for the food, so feed stations can be dropped and everyone has to get fitted out with a sensible pair of 36 spoke wheels from Spa cycles because "if you think 24 of those carbon aero jobbies will do, you know nowt"

I stood by the barriers and cheered the race through Penistone. Brilliant turnout and atmosphere.

Last night I watched stage 3 on itv player, and yes they cut to the helicopter cam 5 yards before the tv camera pointed at me!

It's been great to watch, and I'm proud of my town for embracing it. I hope the race is back next year.

Venod

Eh up
The race came through where I live (Cleckheaton) and where I was brought up (Birstall). I watched the race go past in Cleck. Prior to the weekend I wasn't convinced my neck of the woods would embrace the occasion. Glad to say I was wrong. Great crowds and a memorable day. :okay:

Glad you enjoyed it, but not everybody in Cleckheaton was happy this is from the TDY Facebook page comment section.

Can you get a new TV company? ITV4 were pathetic. they failed to show the crowds in places such as Cleckheaton where there were tens of thousands, a lot of them children and they were ignored. Pathetic at best, indeed ITV4 could be used as a term for just that, worse than pathetic.

This was just one of many responses to this comment, that made me smile.

Just heard... new for 2018, Tour of Cleckheaton... Starts in Cleckheaton, goes round Cleckheaton and ends in Cleckheaton.... cos if it's not Cleckheaton it's not worth watching! CLECKHEATON!!!

Top Bottom