Tour de Yorkshire 2017

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Womens TdY Live on ITV 4 From 9am Saturday

I'm on dog sitting duty tomorrow after my 'little' ride out today, so reckon ITV4 will be on most of the day :okay:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
My cousin and I are driving over to Ripon to watch the women's intermediate sprint in the morning. After that we will have lunch somewhere, then get as close to Pateley Bridge as we can before cycling down Nidderdale to watch the men's race tackle the Lofthouse climb.

Went to Tadcaster, for the Womens

Womens. 8.JPG Womens. 17.JPG

Liz (172)
Womens. 22.JPG

OP
OP
Mike_P

Mike_P

Guru
Watched the finish of the Womens race in Harrogate then off to Knaresborough to see the mens just before the sprint line not that one of the Lotto Jumbo riders seemed that interested in a sprint (maybe the sign is prophetic)
Kboro lj.jpg

then a while later just before the 3km marker on the Skipton Road Harrogate. Video did not freeze frame well so went for an artistic image
a59 blur hot wax1 - Copy.jpg

brommers

Years beyond my wisdom
Watched the finish of the Womens race in Harrogate then off to Knaresborough to see the mens just before the sprint line not that one of the Lotto Jumbo riders seemed that interested in a sprint (maybe the sign is prophetic)
View attachment 349989
then a while later just before the 3km marker on the Skipton Road Harrogate. Video did not freeze frame well so went for an artistic image
View attachment 349993
You could do well with artwork like that

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I went to Ripon with my cousin, as planned. We found a cafe and had late breakfasts in there, then we went out to watch the sprint, which didn't really happen - the riders just rolled through. By then there were already big splits in the peloton. It was interesting to see the body language of the riders, ranging from "Perhaps I can do this" for those at the front, "This is hard work" for those chasing, "Must try and catch up, but I am feeling knackered" for the stragglers, and something that looked "Oh, FFS - aaaaaaaaaaargh" for the Lanterne Rouge! :laugh:

We then drove over to Nidderdale to watch the men's race tackle the Lofthouse climb and something very odd happened!

We cycled over to Lofthouse and did enough of the steep climb to get a feel for it and find a spot with great views of the road and surrounding scenery. I am getting over a heavy cold so I didn't want to thrash myself doing all 1.2 km of the climb. The first few hundred metres was enough for me today! It was great watching amateur riders doing the climb. Some of them were seriously fit and climbed as swiftly as the pros did later. There were quite a few children riding the climb, which was nice to see.

The pros made it look very easy. I saw one rider riding one-handed in the bunch while he casually swigged from his bidon. That was on a section which I think was at about 18%!

It was a nice day out for us.

Tomorrow, I'll see if my cousin or I have a few decent photos to share.

MarkF

Guru
Saltaire for me today, looking forward to it.

Julia9054

Guru
Watched the women's race come through Knaresborough yesterday morning and then nipped home to watch the rest of it on the telly.
Popped back up into town at lunchtime intending to get something to eat and watch the men's race come through but there was nothing much on offer )apart from a really loud and annoying DJ) so we cycled into Harrogate, had some food from one of the many stalls and watched the race on the big screen. Pushed myself to the front to watch the finish, about 100m from the line. I appeared to be in a crowd of some of the riders friends/family I gathered from the conversations going on around me.

Archie

Errrr.....
I've really enjoyed watching this race over the weekend. Good racing and fantastic scenery make it a great event on TV. I really hope it can establish itself as a World Tour race in future. With a unique parcours I think it's got a shot, and could become an extension to the classics season.

I have to say thanks to all the Yorkshire folks who have got out and supported the race, which really made for a great atmosphere. The number of white rose flags on the course was impressive.

Maybe I'll make it up to watch live next year.

Maybe ...
Only "maybe"? That's a wee bit feeble :tongue::tongue::tongue:

Seriously - brilliant atmosphere. And I like the huge loops the routes take - makes it easy to pootle a few miles, and get ahead of the race :biggrin:. I was in Harrogate for the end of the women's race, rode to Wetherby and watched the men come across the Wharfe from a well-placed beer garden, and rode back to Harrogate for the end of the men's race. Yesterday, pootled down the Spen Valley Greenway to Cleckheaton to see the race through, then down to Liversedge to see it come through again.

Useful hint - pubs up to half a mile or a mile from the route want to keep their regulars' custom that day. So many of them have the race on the telly ....... and free food for all! :cheers:

Just got back from a most excellent time following this race. Took the bikes up in the back of the car but scarcely used them, except first day. Stayed in Scarborough first up and rode in from Flamborough Head to Bridlington for the start. Excellent. This is the most accessible start of the whole race and got the chance to get some good pictures. Had a word with Caleb Ewan and spent some time with the Lotto boys. Mrs A got given a bottle and lined her bike up with theirs. She got a picture with Dylan G. We next caught up with the race above Pickering and then got back to Scarborough for the finish. Great day. We spent Saturday in Harrogate and saw both finishes. There was a lot going on there, and a great atmosphere. (But a long time on the feet for oldies like us.) After that we moved on to Keighley and decided to take the steam train to Haworth, which worked really well for us. The streets were packed and the pubs crowded too, and as we were on the train, I could have a beer for once.

This is one of the best races to follow as the whole thing is so accessible. The Yorkshire people are so friendly and really behind the race in a very positive way. This is the third one we have followed like this, and I wondered if some of the magic might have worn off with no Wiggins, Cavendish etc, but the crowd are knowledgeable and appreciative and there in thousands. It fits in nicely as a preparation for the Giro, and is fast becoming a classic in its own right.

Top Bottom