Tour de Yorkshire Sportive

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Heisenberg71

When you're dead, you're dead
I just wondered if anyone has signed up to the forthcoming TdY Sportive?
I am doing the 100km long route. Living in Wakefield I am pretty familiar with a lot of the roads around the area but this route takes in some new ones on me.

I went out for a recce ride on Monday and rode c70% of it, the unfamiliar bits. It's pretty brutal! Within two minutes of the start you're thrown onto Pea Royd Hill, a 25% wall that gets your legs burning. There are the numerous other hill at 15%+. You're going to be climbing 1000ft per 10 miles. However loads of fast descending and gorgeous countryside.

I think it will harder than last year's edition, despite being 10 miles shorter. Just pray for weather now.

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
Oh there will definitely be weather.....

I've managed to grab a freebie doing the 75km route as a "Ride Angel" for Full Gas Cycling. Not sure I'd have paid the asking price to enter as it's on roads I ride for free every week. Some of the marked climbs are pretty nasty, esp at the start and end (although the Jagger lane climb to Emley will catch a few out).

There are a shed load of "unmarked" climbs on the route too, nothing unduly horrible, but as with most rides round here, the constant, unremitting up/down will take its toll on unprepared legs.

Should be fun.

OP
OP
Heisenberg71

Heisenberg71

I know the roads and was prepared and a few surprised me on Monday.
It's the relentless sequence of up and down. Good route though. I did TdY last year and really enjoyed it, however it is expensive for a sportive, I agree. Well organised though.

Pea Royd Lane is insane! Having done it once I have no desire to do it again, but will need to suck it up.

OP
OP
Heisenberg71

Heisenberg71

image.jpeg
image.png
image.jpeg

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
Yeah, hate that climb.... suspect I'll be off and walking the last steep bit..... unless I manage to lose about 2 stone in the next 20 days :smile:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I am doing it 'with' my Scottish cousin - 'with' as in travelling to the start with him, but then watching him disappear into the distance! :laugh:

I doubt whether I will even stay with him as far as the foot of Pea Royd Lane, if the first couple of instances of the TdY were anything to go by. He is much younger and fitter than me. I will just meander round at my own pace and meet up with him later at the finish.

It is the only sportive that I do these days. It is expensive but I get to spend a long weekend with my cousin and show him swathes of Yorkshire.

I am a bit worried by how early on we hit Pea Royd Lane. I have major problems with steep hills when not warmed up. I hope we can get to the start with at least 30 minutes to spare to ride up and down some flatter roads first.

Yeah, hate that climb.... suspect I'll be off and walking the last steep bit..... unless I manage to lose about 2 stone in the next 20 days :smile:
I don't like to worry you, but you actually only have 11 days to shift that flab! :okay:

OP
OP
Heisenberg71

Heisenberg71

It's a bit ridiculous straight off the bat, but plenty of flat roads down there to warm up. At least the worst is out of the way early doors. Just the other nightmares to worry about.

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
I don't like to worry you, but you actually only have 11 days to shift that flab! :okay:

You're really not helping here you know Colin :smile:

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
I popped into the café at the bottom of Pea Royd Lane a couple of weeks ago. I suspect not a good one to try immediately after a full cooked breakfast?

I did do Jacksons Bridge and that nasty South Lane out of Holmfirth so hopefully excused. But now I know where it is I'll be back for a go at it. The TdY Sportive route looks good, I know pretty well all of it, hope everyone enjoys

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
South Lane/Cinderhills is horrible, not only properly steep, but potholed, narrow and used as a rat run by drivers who don't always give a monkeys. Not a road I'd choose to ride (up or down).