Tour Down Under *SPOILERS*

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Keith Oates

Janner
He was 76th on the stage and 27 secs. behind Greipel and 118 on GC and nearly 47 minutes behind Gerrans!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think Kittel is working his way into the season with the aim of being in the right shape for a green jersey challenge at the Tour.

I was thinking that he looks as if he has "other plans" other than doing well in the Tour Down Under, only time will tell if that's indeed what is his plan

oldroadman

Veteran
I'm sure it's far too early to worry about Kittel's form, I was just slightly surprised to see him not even trying.
This was not even in a racing season a few years ago. Think it through from a pro rider point of view. You could be riding Lombardia in lete(ish) October, why should you then be expeceted to be "trying" in the third week of January? A holiday for the rest of October and early November, away from the bike, with the family (important!), then back to training late November/early December. On the basis of a six week build up, the average nothern hemisphere rider is not likely to be sparking by late january. The "proper" season used to start with "training" races like the Med, now we have world tour races at this very early point in the year. For all it's troubles, San Luis would be a better option to go and get race conditioning without too much pressure. There's nothing wrong with TDU, just that sometimes you can be sent to arces where you really don't want the stress that pressure brings, and save it up for later in the year. That goes for stars and domestiques both.
It's not possible to keep top condition for a whole year (or even much longer than a couple of months, hence mid-season breaks and big rosters on teams). you are expected to be ready to do your job where it really matters**. Which is northern hemisphere generally, in the heartland of the sport. This will take a long time to change.

** What really matters? Semi-Classics early spring, Tirreno, Paris-Nice, Switzerland, Giro, Tour, Vuelta, MSR, Roubaix, RVV, Het Nieuwsblad, etc... China and Australia, nice to be going OK but in the bigger picture.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Yes, all good points. I suppose the last couple of seasons, first with Wiggo then with Froome, have conditioned me to expect teams to take these early season races a bit more seriously - ie actually treat them as races...

Completely agree wrt San Luis being a better bet than the TDU - at least it will count for some proper hill training, so Cav definitely made the right call there. Though I suppose Kittel is too much of a pure sprinter to have any green jersey ambitions and will just be going for stage wins and praying for survival in the mountains.

The Couch

Über Member
.... On the basis of a six week build up, the average nothern hemisphere rider is not likely to be sparking by late january. The "proper" season used to start with "training" races like the Med, now we have world tour races at this very early point in the year. ...and save it up for later in the year. That goes for stars and domestiques both.
It's not possible to keep top condition for a whole year ...
Agree on your statements (and probably many riders would as well... see Nibali), but there is already quite some UCI points up for grabs here, so I guess the teams/riders are being slightly forced a bit to also try to perform well in these.

And actually besides your above statement(s), I think the weather differences might also play an important part... I don't think all riders enjoy spending time in Argentina and/or Australia at about 45C and then having to go back to train in the flemish Ardennes at around freezing temperature.
They need to adjust first to the high T and then go back (home/ to Europe?) and adjust back to the low T :dry:

thom

____
This was not even in a racing season a few years ago. Think it through from a pro rider point of view. You could be riding Lombardia in lete(ish) October, why should you then be expeceted to be "trying" in the third week of January? A holiday for the rest of October and early November, away from the bike, with the family (important!), then back to training late November/early December. On the basis of a six week build up, the average nothern hemisphere rider is not likely to be sparking by late january. The "proper" season used to start with "training" races like the Med, now we have world tour races at this very early point in the year. For all it's troubles, San Luis would be a better option to go and get race conditioning without too much pressure. There's nothing wrong with TDU, just that sometimes you can be sent to arces where you really don't want the stress that pressure brings, and save it up for later in the year. That goes for stars and domestiques both.
It's not possible to keep top condition for a whole year (or even much longer than a couple of months, hence mid-season breaks and big rosters on teams). you are expected to be ready to do your job where it really matters**. Which is northern hemisphere generally, in the heartland of the sport. This will take a long time to change.

** What really matters? Semi-Classics early spring, Tirreno, Paris-Nice, Switzerland, Giro, Tour, Vuelta, MSR, Roubaix, RVV, Het Nieuwsblad, etc... China and Australia, nice to be going OK but in the bigger picture.
A couple of things to add though :
1) there is clearly value for Aus riders, the TdU coming not long after the AUS championships and this being the main bike race there: Gerrans, Evans & Porte made something of a spectacle
2) What do points mean … ? The prize of Pro Tour status, so there is clearly an incentive for weaker teams to make the most of perhaps easier pickings. Lampre-Merida maybe are ok with the world champ and if Horner does sign but perhaps this is one reason why Ulissi went so well this early in the season.

oldroadman

Veteran
Training was often at warm weather places in Europe, southern Spain as an example. Then back to Belgium where is flippin' cold in spring. Problem with the temperature? Not the way races are riden in Belgium, just wrap up warm, wear gloves and overshoes, leg warmers, all the stuff, and prepare to suffer. By half way a lot of the stuff will come off, unless it's one of those "amusing" races where it snows on and off!

Top Bottom