Tour of Britain 2014...on my doorstep (may contain SPOILERS)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Adam4868

Guru
I'm going to watch it around sefton park, and I'll probably get there around 25mins before they start, can't imagine it being hugely busy
Thanks mate,think I will do same.

sleaver

Veteran
I've been thinking of going to watch the London stages. I probably won't attempt to stand at the start/finish as it will probably be packed so does anyone else know a decent place to watch from?

If anyone else is going to London, are you going for both stages or just one? I would like to watch both but that will be a lot of standing around and there is two hours between the end of the TT and start of the last stage.

suzeworld

Veteran
Anyone going to Liverpool on sunday ? What time will be best to get there ?
I think it will be busy, based on the crowds at Harrogate etc. this year, there is a lot of enthusiasm.
I am going up the night before, maybe go see the team presentations on Sat.

I will wander round on Sunday till I find where the team buses etc are and gawp about in a groupy-ish fashion then when the race is due to start I'll find the podium and park myself on a corner near that. I was there when they did this circuit in L'pool a few years ago and the pace, even on corners, was eye- watering.

suzeworld

Veteran
BTW, why is the official site so awful? It always has been. The new sponsors needed to think of buying in someone who could design websites that work, not rehash the old tat. :blush:

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
My Dad is sweet, he rang me up to tell me that there was a bike race happening nearby me, as he had read it in a Telegraph pull out section in today's paper! For a minute I wondered if he was going to come down to see it himself, but no it was just to let me know:rolleyes:

montage

God Almighty
what time is it looking to finish in liverpool? Last minute change of plans means I might be able to go have a ganders!!

bpsmith

Veteran
@jowwy Looking to get part of Stage 3 covered, but not sure where yet. Will be part driving, part cycling as 3 of us all have to get back to Swansea quicker than we could cycle after it's over.

Any ideas on where we can park and catch the end of the race near the Tumble? We are planning to arrive early morning, park close to the end and then cycle away for a bit before the race. The point being that we can then get away quickly with a bit of luck.

Any ideas @jowwy from local insider information?

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
The best would be to park in the town of abergavenny, then ride up the tumble itself. The road closed for vehicular traffic from 6am. I'm working in ponty til 12 then i'll be riding up from the blaenavon side to the top were the finish line is

Went down to the start today and wondered around the technical area where the team buses were parked. Not an auspicious start as I stepped out in front of Tinkoff-Saxo heading out for a warm-up, who thankfully flowed around me.

The Sky bus was just surrounded, as was OPQS, so no prizes for guessing why. Any other bus you could virtually have climbed in. Huge variations between teams, from the behemoths of the world pro teams to a GB bloke on a turbo outside the mechanics van.

Then wandered over to the start, watched a few riders going up and down for a warm up, watched the start then came home to watch the rest on TV.

Cool :becool:

IMGP2213.jpg

A few more pics below but I wasn't really concentrating on the pics, just drinking in the atmoshpere

https://picasaweb.google.com/crackle10/Tob?authkey=Gv1sRgCIuFhNmhwuSigAE

Last edited:
Top Bottom