Tour of Britain 2016

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Joffey

Big Dosser
Yet again they neglect the east of England, or to put it another way, half of the country. Load of bollocks.

Louch

105% knowledge on 105
Since it doesn't go on the east of Scotland, I will be travelling to see it on the west. See what I did there? Transfer rules mean it has to stay on pretty much one side of country, and only so much can be done in a 7 stage race. Don't know west of Scotland that well for cycling, so should be a good ride heading to find a good vantage point

Rasmus

Without a clever title
Since it doesn't go on the east of Scotland, I will be travelling to see it on the west. See what I did there? Transfer rules mean it has to stay on pretty much one side of country, and only so much can be done in a 7 stage race. Don't know west of Scotland that well for cycling, so should be a good ride heading to find a good vantage point
Hard to see on the map released so far, but it looks like they will do the climb up from Galston (B7037). That's where I would go to watch, unless you fancy a proper adventure further South.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Stage 3 is close but, by sticking the climbs in the middle it won't be the most exciting I fear. The map is hard to make out. They definitely go up the Cat and Fiddle (which at 3% for 7 miles is just a gentle incline for them) but they do one shortly before. Is it Brickworks or Blaze Hill? Either of those would be better for spectating than the C&F as they're quite a bit steeper

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Stage 3 is close but, by sticking the climbs in the middle it won't be the most exciting I fear. The map is hard to make out. They definitely go up the Cat and Fiddle (which at 3% for 7 miles is just a gentle incline for them) but they do one shortly before. Is it Brickworks or Blaze Hill? Either of those would be better for spectating than the C&F as they're quite a bit steeper

Suspect it is the Brickworks down and up into Macc via Rainow, up the Cat and then down past Blaze Farm followed by the climb past Wilboarclough. Then down through Sutton and a fast flat stretch across the plain via Gawsworth to Tatton.
I might try to watch it on the Brickworks and then TT it back to Tatton to catch the Sprint finish. I was thinking of doing it from the Cat but even with a head start the speed of the peleton would catch me before Tatton.

OP
OP
beastie

beastie

Guru
The cumbrian stage has some good vantage points, the start and finish of the struggle, whinlatter, climb up from Ullswater and the rolling terrain over the moor to Bassenthwaite. Also the finish in Kendal.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Looks like Stage 5 goes close to me again (although not past my door this time!). No steep hills to watch from, though. Best bet might be to go up to somewhere on the B4066 as they climb up out of Stroud.

oldroadman

Veteran
Yet again they neglect the east of England, or to put it another way, half of the country. Load of bollocks.
What a silly thing to say. The race organisers have 8 days to play with, contracts with certain areas/towns, need to minimise transfers where you can. They go to Scotland, Wales, Devon, London, midlands, all over the place. Any suggestion for an East Anglia stage? Then as organiser explain why there are 250km plus transfers so the race can go there. Oh, and the small matter of the money to run it. Real world.....not one with spheroids.

oldroadman

Veteran
Funny old world, half the posters want a weight lifting contest up hills. Organisers want a spectacle and have included a "mountain" top finish at Haytor. Seems that the cycling world is never happy that someone actually wants to take the risk of even RUNNING the race - which costs a fortune. Stop flipping moaning and enjoy. The gentleman in York can look forward to a decent small stage race all to himself in his home county, ToY, later this year.

Top Bottom