Tour of Britain 2016

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

the_mikey

Legendary Member
I'll certainly be about town on the Bristol stage, probably Bridge Valley Road, or moving about a bit.

Pondering the possibilities of taking time off work to go watch stage 5 at the sprint in Pucklechurch.

I grew up in Pucklechurch and as I child I really wanted to see the Milk Race come to my little village, so I will try to be there to see the sprint!

Macondo01

I need a bit of advice please. I am planning to watch the race (stage 3) at the Brickworks. The peloton are due at 2pm. What time should I get there considering road closures etc. if I am cycling..? Thanks.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
It is rolling road closures so getting there isn't a problem upto about 5 minutes before the race arrives. You may want be there reasonably early though to get a good viewing spot. The steepest bits of the Brickworks are fenced on both sides so if there are decent crowds space may be limited.

Freds Dad

Veteran
I need a bit of advice please. I am planning to watch the race (stage 3) at the Brickworks. The peloton are due at 2pm. What time should I get there considering road closures etc. if I am cycling..? Thanks.

I would get there about 1 hour before it's due. I watched it a couple of years ago at Siddington Crossroads and folk started gathering well before the race passed and it was only a flat section. I would think that places like Brickworks, The Cat and Fiddle top and Wizard Hill will attract big crowds.

We are planning a route around Stage 3 to catch the race in 3 locations including Wizard Hill. We did think of going to Tatton to see the finish but it will be extremely busy. There is also a fan park in Holmes Chapel with events on.

oldroadman

Veteran
I would get there about 1 hour before it's due. I watched it a couple of years ago at Siddington Crossroads and folk started gathering well before the race passed and it was only a flat section. I would think that places like Brickworks, The Cat and Fiddle top and Wizard Hill will attract big crowds.

We are planning a route around Stage 3 to catch the race in 3 locations including Wizard Hill. We did think of going to Tatton to see the finish but it will be extremely busy. There is also a fan park in Holmes Chapel with events on.
Agree. Rolling closure means a shut down 10-15 minutes ahead. There will be plenty of fans about, so rolling up on a bike last minute is not an option. There is a good chance police will stop all traffic even further in advance on the big climbs and descents for safety. "Traffic" includes random people on bikes as well. get your spot an hour ahead, and be prepared for a wait before moving on, at this race level there are two team cars per team in two convoys, plus all the other vehicles, which can easily be 10 minutes long. Then of course the possibility of riders off the back for various reasons and the broom wagon. Enjoyment is improved by good planning!

gasinayr

Über Member
Since it doesn't go on the east of Scotland, I will be travelling to see it on the west. See what I did there? Transfer rules mean it has to stay on pretty much one side of country, and only so much can be done in a 7 stage race. Don't know west of Scotland that well for cycling, so should be a good ride heading to find a good vantage point
If you are traveling to the West, a good point to see it would be St Johns town of Dalry on the A713 good double bends through the town, gets there around 3 o'clock.

Rasmus

Without a clever title
I grew up in Pucklechurch and as I child I really wanted to see the Milk Race come to my little village, so I will try to be there to see the sprint!
Boss has finally approved my time off request, so I will be at Pucklechurch to catch the sprint.

Also have a rail voucher that needs using, so looks like a trip to Tiverton/Exeter on the Friday is also likely to happen.

https://www.strava.com/activities/391338390/shareable_images/map_based?hl=en-GB&v=1442152528

image.png

I got a cracking view of the 2015 London stage:laugh::becool:. I'm on Ride Leader duty this year, so I'll have to make do with watching it on the telly:smile:.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next

MikeW-71

Veteran
Since I'm working on the monday, I will head out on stage 1 to have a watch. I may try for the top of the last KOM. Anyone else going up there?

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
I'm taking the caravan down to Bovey Tracey for a few days. Watching the finish at Haytor. :dance:

Top Bottom