Tour of Britain 2021

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Will tune if for the finale in Llandudno today. The final climb is really good with an insane ramp to start where an attack will be launched, then it eases off but still climbing all the way to the finish

I've never ridden the really steep tramway road. It looks rideable...just...for me. Will be fascinating to see how quickly top pros race it

View attachment 608169

That's the bit where I was standing but I walked it.:blush: I rode it down afterwards though. ^_^

Last edited:

yello

And it's persisting down.

Cav in the break is a bit of a strange one, it'll be interesting to see how it pans out. It's hard to see it as a tactical move (up the road for JA??) and I can't see he fancies himself for the stage win! Maybe it's just a bit of match fitness being gained? A roll of the dice? Something different?

Whilst they're over the big climbs of the day, the gap has come down and I don't imagine for a moment they'll stay away.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
So two more flat finishes and 4 seconds for Ethan Hayter to defend.

W.V.A is very capable of a decent sprint finish, but on a pure flat finish there are other faster riders in the peleton. Nevertheless, neither of the two remaining stages are flat to any degree, so the pure sprinters will need to work hard to get there, particularly on the last day.

And no one is going to gift Hayter with a win over W.V.A, with no one else in the Ineos team that can prevent him from getting the first spot.

So who is going to win?

Last edited:

slow scot

Veteran
The last day has a serious climb very early on (the Cairn ‘o Mount), but thereafter there’s not all that much in the way of climbing, the roads aren’t narrow or twisting, and I’ll bet @Drago’s new doggie that there’ll be a bunch sprint.
However, I’m not often right, and I could be wrong again!!
By the way, the “Cairn” is one of Scotland’s great climbs. Well worth a trip up here to do, but bring some low gears.

OP
OP
roadrash

roadrash

cycle chatterer
something he will never forget:bravo:

FishFright

More wheels than sense
Going back to the discussions on historical presence/absence in various regions.

All the places that have hosted starts or finishes since 2004, not including 2020 which didn't happen.

View attachment 608352

This doesn't indicate that some places have hosted multiple times. The top scorers on this are (one point each for a start or a finish - two for both) London has 12 times had stages that both start and finish there.

London(24)
Stoke on Trent(11)
Blackpool(8)
Glasgow(6)
Bristol(5)
Carlisle(5)
Kendal(5)
Liverpool(5)
Knowsley(4)
Nottingham(4)
Worcester(4)

What can you draw from that? Some areas are less visited than others.

In part because some areas put themselves up for inclusion. Is Stoke on Trent considered a really great place for racing, or has the authority there been particularly cooperative? I suspect the latter.

Why it has never gone to the highlands I don't know. Logistical reasons?

RE Stoke, There is a long time link between a few race teams, sponsors and shops in the area which the Labour led council was keen showcase for a few years. This has declined somewhat and the current council are decidedly less bike friendly.

Venod

Eh up
Copied from a tweet.

"I am going to watch the Tour of Britain on Friday in Cumbria, I am looking forward to it but I am concerned that as I am stood on the roadside something will be missing, so every 10 minutes can you send me a reminder to organise a funeral plan and some photos of abused donkeys"

Top Bottom