Tour of Britain 2021

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yello

Must admit it was the coast/cliff road that appealed, not the final climb!!!

Agreed. I drove up there couple of years ago and whilst it was impressive, I'm not sure I'd want to cycle up it!

I used to live in Llandudno - for about 3 years - and a few miles away for over 10 years before that

Only went round the Orme road once - and that was in WInter
Used to go up to the top quite often - that road is damn steep - I think they reached the tram's half way station faster than I normally do in a car!!!

And even more thread drift Llandudno means The Church of St. Tudno.

And just as it is a particular annoyance of mine U in Welsh is as in I in English i.e. is pronounced "tidno / didno"
A friend from Llandysul [which he says "...usil"] has been trying to drum this into me. Sadly I've been saying Welsh place names the wrong way since the 80s, it's a very hard habit to unlearn. Sorry!
(I have gotten pretty good with Dolgellau, to be fair. It's taken 30 years ... )

Last edited:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Going back to the discussions on historical presence/absence in various regions.

All the places that have hosted starts or finishes since 2004, not including 2020 which didn't happen.

1631190100311.png

This doesn't indicate that some places have hosted multiple times. The top scorers on this are (one point each for a start or a finish - two for both) London has 12 times had stages that both start and finish there.

London(24)
Stoke on Trent(11)
Blackpool(8)
Glasgow(6)
Bristol(5)
Carlisle(5)
Kendal(5)
Liverpool(5)
Knowsley(4)
Nottingham(4)
Worcester(4)

What can you draw from that? Some areas are less visited than others.

In part because some areas put themselves up for inclusion. Is Stoke on Trent considered a really great place for racing, or has the authority there been particularly cooperative? I suspect the latter.

Why it has never gone to the highlands I don't know. Logistical reasons?

If you scattered the pins on random towns, you wouldn't get a much more balanced distribution. Just a different one. Toss a coin a thousand times - you won't get 500 heads. Especially when you add in this effect:
In part because some areas put themselves up for inclusion. Is Stoke on Trent considered a really great place for racing, or has the authority there been particularly cooperative? I suspect the latter.

yello

Looked like Cav picked the right wheel but he just had not enough in the tank after that crash distanced him and he had to make up ground. Them's the breaks.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Chapeau Ethan Hayter back in the leaders jersey after his stage win.

View: https://twitter.com/INEOSGrenadiers/status/1435985451190472708?s=19

I hope to God you haven't put a tenner on the poor bastard!

Top Bottom