Tour of Britain 2021

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Somebody needs to tell the co commentator how to pronounce Gruff!
Ned tried at least twice but Captain Blyth won't be told!

yello

French commentators have battled personfully with the Welsh names.

They were going just a tad ape-shoot-crazy as everybody's favourite JA approached the line. Was impressive to see the Ineos fella (current, and still?, leader) make up the gap. Cav was working hard for a place on the team too.

Bit didn't they make the Orme look easy? Especially that first ascent.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
It's steep, but it ain't no Mur de Huy so many of the puncheurs will just dance up that at speeds which would blow your hat off!

Odd spectacle of a cyclocross start today. All riders were brought to a stand at 0km and after a wait, the flag dropped and race director car sped away, catching some unsuspecting pee-ers unaware. Anyone know why they did not keep rolling easy until all punctured riders (have some Welsh bike-haters been out with glass for a second day in a row?) had rejoined, like at the Grand Tours?
I watched it and I didn't see much dancing...

Having said that, sub 8 minutes would have put you top 10 on the climb before today. vanAert is now record holder at a smidge over 5 minutes

Blimey - I have actually enjoyed a stage of the TofB ...

2 halves: a fantastic travelama through beautiful areas I know.
Then the finale: stunning road round a crazy peninsula, and a fantastic uphill finish that the Flemish races would be proud of.

(I didn't know that awesome road existed! Only been as far North as Conway before. Must go there now!)

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Blimey - I have actually enjoyed a stage of the TofB ...

2 halves: a fantastic travelama through beautiful areas I know.
Then the finale: stunning road round a crazy peninsula, and a fantastic uphill finish that the Flemish races would be proud of.

(I didn't know that awesome road existed! Only been as far North as Conway before. Must go there now!)
Really the route they took is too steep to be a pleasant climb, even for very fit cyclists. I would suggest St Tudno's Road which is a stiffish climb but much more manageable (I did it a few years ago) and gets you to the road they cycled up after the really steep bit

1631179031974.png

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
It's not often that I see a stage of the ToB on telly and get the wow factor that you sometimes get with the GTs. Partly that's due to familiarity ("meh, it's just The Tumble, I used to live round the corner from there") but also a lot of the ToB seems to be very humdrum.

But those cliff roads, and the photography of them, was spiffing.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
It's not often that I see a stage of the ToB on telly and get the wow factor that you sometimes get with the GTs. Partly that's due to familiarity ("meh, it's just The Tumble, I used to live round the corner from there") but also a lot of the ToB seems to be very humdrum.

But those cliff roads, and the photography of them, was spiffing.
If you come and do my Manchester to Llandudno CC ride you get fish and chips at the base of the really steep climb and the opportunity to do that cliff road loop after your Wetherspoons breakfast on the Sunday

The highlights prog cut out a lot of stunning roads along the coast to - and then thru - Snowdonia!
The moorland road (NNE) with the KOMs on was new to me, but isn't particularly dramatic. Still damn nice though ...
Really the route they took is too steep to be a pleasant climb, even for very fit cyclists. I would suggest St Tudno's Road which is a stiffish climb but much more manageable (I did it a few years ago) and gets you to the road they cycled up after the really steep bit

View attachment 608327
Thanks. Must admit it was the coast/cliff road that appealed, not the final climb!!!

Incidentally - and at the risk of enormous thread drift - googling St Tudno brought this up:
https://park4night.com/lieu/90102//llandudno-saint-tudno's-road/united-kingdom/conwy#.YTnVYo5Kg2w

Chislenko

Veteran
The highlights prog cut out a lot of stunning roads along the coast to - and then thru - Snowdonia!
The moorland road (NNE) with the KOMs on was new to me, but isn't particularly dramatic. Still damn nice though ...

Thanks. Must admit it was the coast/cliff road that appealed, not the final climb!!!

Incidentally - and at the risk of enormous thread drift - googling St Tudno brought this up:
https://park4night.com/lieu/90102//llandudno-saint-tudno's-road/united-kingdom/conwy#.YTnVYo5Kg2w

And even more thread drift Llandudno means The Church of St. Tudno.

And just as it is a particular annoyance of mine U in Welsh is as in I in English i.e. is pronounced "tidno / didno"

Top Bottom