Tour of Britain 2021

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

13 rider

Guru
I had a crack at rundlestone yesterday
Was going quite well…..
View attachment 608089

Oh then the peloton uploaded their data 🤦🏼‍♂️
and that’s after about 70-80miles of them riding
View attachment 608091
I like the bit from strava" just take 13 minutes off for the lead "as if it nothing . When you can directly compare data you realise how bloody fast they are

Daninplymouth

I like the bit from strava" just take 13 minutes off for the lead "as if it nothing . When you can directly compare data you realise how bloody fast they are
I was hot and on the verge of keeling over on my effort. A bloke I work with used to race at a half decent standard I believe plus he is about 25kg lighter than me and he set a pb the other week of 25mins which I think is a very decent time. So how they go that much faster after all the distance before that, and that’s excluding the 100odd miles the day before just shows how extraordinary the pro’s are

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Will tune if for the finale in Llandudno today. The final climb is really good with an insane ramp to start where an attack will be launched, then it eases off but still climbing all the way to the finish

I've never ridden the really steep tramway road. It looks rideable...just...for me. Will be fascinating to see how quickly top pros race it

Doesn’t have to be, just set the race up to cover different bits of the country on consecutive years, it always seems to go west

Because the Tour of Yorkshire had put up a big "keep off our land" sign at the entrance to God's county and put the squeeze on any local authority which tried to bring ToB to their town/city...allegedly

newts

Veteran
Because the Tour of Yorkshire had put up a big "keep off our land" sign at the entrance to God's county and put the squeeze on any local authority which tried to bring ToB to their town/city...allegedly
Doesn’t have to be, just set the race up to cover different bits of the country on consecutive years, it always seems to go west
They do shift around, it doesn't come to the westcountry every year?

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Will tune if for the finale in Llandudno today. The final climb is really good with an insane ramp to start where an attack will be launched, then it eases off but still climbing all the way to the finish

I've never ridden the really steep tramway road. It looks rideable...just...for me. Will be fascinating to see how quickly top pros race it

View attachment 608169
It's steep, but it ain't no Mur de Huy so many of the puncheurs will just dance up that at speeds which would blow your hat off!

Odd spectacle of a cyclocross start today. All riders were brought to a stand at 0km and after a wait, the flag dropped and race director car sped away, catching some unsuspecting pee-ers unaware. Anyone know why they did not keep rolling easy until all punctured riders (have some Welsh bike-haters been out with glass for a second day in a row?) had rejoined, like at the Grand Tours?

mjr

They do shift around, it doesn't come to the westcountry every year?
The Tour of Britain has visited SW England every year except one since it became a one-week race in 2007. It has boycotted Yorkshire since the councils refused to allow a rolling road closure one year and hasn't been to the East of England much lately, so really the west country has done pretty well out of the tour routing (unlike the crap transport links within the SW region that make it slow from the far west to Bristol, which deserve grumbles).

Chislenko

Veteran
Somebody needs to tell the co commentator how to pronounce Gruff!

T4tomo

Legendary Member
The Tour of Britain has visited SW England every year except one since it became a one-week race in 2007. It has boycotted Yorkshire since the councils refused to allow a rolling road closure one year and hasn't been to the East of England much lately, so really the west country has done pretty well out of the tour routing (unlike the crap transport links within the SW region that make it slow from the far west to Bristol, which deserve grumbles).
It hasn't boycotted anything, in recent times there was no incentive for any Yorkshire town to bid for a ToB Stage when there was more prestigious TdeF and TdeY stages to bid for.

East of England would be a bit pointless - lets have a long flat stage, with a maybe a small chance of crosswinds, being the only point of interest :okay:

newts

Veteran
It didn't come to the westcountry in 2015/17/19?

mjr

It hasn't boycotted anything, in recent times there was no incentive for any Yorkshire town to bid for a ToB Stage when there was more prestigious TdeF and TdeY stages to bid for.
TdF was only one year and TdY is absolutely not more prestiguous than a longer older race! :laugh:

East of England would be a bit pointless - lets have a long flat stage, with a maybe a small chance of crosswinds, being the only point of interest :okay:
Wrong on both counts. Sounds like you've not ridden here much :smile:

To be fair, probably most of the reason it's not been here much is that the county councils are mainly run by old men in limos or 4x4s who don't fund cycling or sport properly, let alone cycle-sport.

Top Bottom