Tour of Britain 2022

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
The end of the IoW stage could be nuts. A SW crosswind along the Military Rd then the lumps into Freshwater will stress things out for sure. I can’t tell from the maps but I hope they’re going to include the zigzags up to the rocket testing site or the coastguard and not just finish at the Alum Bay car park.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
The end of the IoW stage could be nuts. A SW crosswind along the Military Rd then the lumps into Freshwater will stress things out for sure. I can’t tell from the maps but I hope they’re going to include the zigzags up to the rocket testing site or the coastguard and not just finish at the Alum Bay car park.
sounds like they are...
This year’s race culminates with a two-kilometre climb up to Tennyson Down, the final 400 metres of which average a gradient of 9.6%, making it the toughest ending to any Tour of Britain in modern history.

https://www.tourofbritain.co.uk/stages/

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
I am however frustrated that they've made the men's route available (for September) but no details really whatsoever for the women's tour which is in June.
They've named all the teams entered, a record field which is great, but still yet to announce where two of the stages are going to be. Really bad organisation.

Solocle

Über Member
They've named all the teams entered, a record field which is great, but still yet to announce where two of the stages are going to be. Really bad organisation.
Funnily Oxford-Chipping Norton and back was when I broke my own distance record of 26 miles, as I got into cycling again. Ah, nostalgic!

I presume the route will be a bit more interesting to blasting down the A44, though. Cotswolds expected!

It's always like this.

I don't think organizing the WTOB is as easy as you make out. The tdf can pick and choose where it wants to go. The WTOB hasn't quite got the same opportunities.

Seevio

Guru
I see the route goes past the end of my road. I reckon a day off is in order.

I also note that the route goes across Sodbury Common. At that time of year there WILL be cows. This will be interesting.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I genuinely get this...but it's only a few months away.

6 weeks! The commercial realities of trying to persuade someone to spaff a chunk of budget on hosting a stage when the benefits are hard to quantify....

Both tours are still looking for Main sponsors and the minimum quota of live TV needed to keep the WTOB in it UCI ranking also hasn't been secured..

Last edited:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
6 weeks! The commercial realities of trying to persuade someone to spaff a chunk of budget on hosting a stage when the benefits are hard to quantify....

Both tours are still looking for Main sponsors and the minimum quota of live TV needed to keep the WTOB in it UCI ranking also hasn't been secured..
It really shouldn't be that hard to quantify, as it's not a new event. Last year, Haverhill was heaving on the morning of the ToB start there, with cafés having to call in extra workers at short notice to cope with the increased demand. So it's unsurprising IMO that the Essex/Suffolk stage is already confirmed.

What I don't understand is why organisers and host councils appear to fark up both maximising and measuring the benefits of these events repeatedly, including advising local businesses to make plans in case there are crowds of potential customers outside their doors! So often, they do the hard part of actually hosting the race, but then for want of a ha'p'orth o' tar, the ship is lost, with no commentary, no music, no commerce and so on. The Sweetspot races (the two Tour of Britains and the Tour Series) at least provide some (very patchy) commentary and music, and maybe it's just me, but I think a bike race is crying out for music, chips and beer after noon. Although the Thai food stall at Sunday's local race was excellent, Belgium this ain't.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Generally the worst thing at city-centre races is the music and the commentary.
Like cycle-paths, I'd rather have none than have it done sooo badly...

(i heard some interviews at Paris-Roubaxi this weekend - the music over there is just as bad.)
The music I can take or leave, but almost any commentary adds something (unless it's wrong!) and the big opportunity is selling food and drink to the people watching! And maybe fan tat but I'm not sure this country is ready for cycling fan tat yet...

Top Bottom