Tour of Britain 4-11 September 2016 *spoilers*

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
smutchin

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
I don't think Froome exactly gave it the beans in the Surrey Classic either.

He looked pretty active to me - did a lot of work on the front of the peloton to control the pace when Thomas and Stannard were up the road. There's more to bike racing than just charging down the road as fast as you can (whatever Peter Sagan may think).

Buddfox

Veteran
He looked pretty active to me - did a lot of work on the front of the peloton to control the pace when Thomas and Stannard were up the road. There's more to bike racing than just charging down the road as fast as you can (whatever Peter Sagan may think).

You're right of course - but I don't think Froome made too much of this in terms of his public pronouncements. He certainly got more air time ahead of the race, and if you didn't understand the tactics, you'd have presumed he was the featured rider, which I am sure he never intended to be. I guess I also don't equate giving it the beans with controlling the pace on the front of the peloton, but I take your point.

HF2300

Insanity Prawn Boy
Presumably Wiggo's participation is more a PR move and he won't be contributing to the actual racing

This is a 2.HC race and should be treated with respect - it's not a farewell leaving party for a rider to gloat in the public's admiration. I hope he takes it seriously.

Wiggins has entered a number of events, including previous ToBs, and been slagged for not trying; but the reasons for him entering have seemed, for Wiggins at least, to have had very little to do with PR and a lot to do with building / maintaining condition ahead of other events, particularly the track over the last year or so. Don't forget that taking things seriously doesn't always equate to challenging for GC, and a rider's motivations and the race PR director's motivations can be very different...

fimm

Veteran
I think it was last year's ToB where Wiggins was riding in support of the younger riders in the Wiggins Team. I seem to recall an interview with one of them who commented that if Bradley decided to move up the peloton it was like the Red Sea parting in front of him! I also think that was the year when he was busy on the front during the last stage in order to ensure that one of his team got enough sprint points to get the Best Young Rider jersey. (That doesn't sound quite right compared with the TdF but the rules are probably different.)

rich p

ridiculous old lush
It gets his team and its riders a lot of exposure and experience. It also gets them invites to events that they might not otherwise.
And the organisers would love his name on the PR stuff.

SWSteve

Guru
It appears the startlist is rapidly gaining names, and might even match the Vuelta.

One downside, I'm getting made redundant a week too late, so can't tour the country following the race

Presumably Wiggo's participation is more a PR move and he won't be contributing to the actual racing

This is a 2.HC race and should be treated with respect - it's not a farewell leaving party for a rider to gloat in the public's admiration. I hope he takes it seriously.

He'll be at the back probably nursing a hangover with Cav and Stevie C:rolleyes::whistle:

Steve will probably smash it on one stage or two though;take it Thomas De Gendt and Tony Martin aren't there,imagine them three in a break together:bicycle::cycle::B):notworthy:.

Top Bottom