"Tour of Britain - Stage 1 (12/9/09)Exciting meet up ride"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
I muted this at BIG - G ride; though was not sure of the route then, just checked the website and there's the info

http://www.tourofbritain.co.uk/_ns_pdf/stage_1_route_map.pdf

http://www.tourofbritain.co.uk/_ns_race/stage1_route.asp

This allows in 'theory' the Hull-York possies (et al) to meet up on neutral ground of Pocklington

Cake shop to be advised by Arch.

Also will be a nice place to watch one of the 'sprints'.

Then the possibilty of 'us' moving up to York before the 'Pros' taking the Hillyxx( route (obviuosly copying our Big G adventures ;)) for us all to see the finish (& try and gain freebies)

I've checked the football & Hull are away, however (solty) Bradford are at home:ohmy:

It's a long way off - just one for the diaries.

Be nice to meet some new faces as well ;)

Soltydog

Legendary Member
I'll be driving over to watch & probably stop around Howden somewhere, then off to Bradford for the football. I'm off work that week & doing the coasts & castles route Monday onwards, so I'll be needing a rest come Saturday ;)

zacklaws

Guru
Thanks for that info, I checked myself at some point over the weekend, may have been Sunday or even yesterday and the route was not published.

I've took the day off work and planned on just seeing the start, but looking now at the route, I may now probably carry on to Goole, then Pocklington and watch the finish in York and may even plan other places to watch.

HelenD123

Legendary Member
craigwend said:
I
This allows in 'theory' the Hull-York possies (et al) to meet up on neutral ground of Pocklington

Cake shop to be advised by Arch.

Also will be a nice place to watch one of the 'sprints'.

Then the possibilty of 'us' moving up to York before the 'Pros' taking the Hillyxx( route (obviuosly copying our Big G adventures ;)) for us all to see the finish (& try and gain freebies)

This sounds like a good plan.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Are those expected times at each point? Just over 1.5 hours to do Pock to York, via the long way and those hills! It takes me that long to do the more direct route, with a following wind!:smile:

Anyway, sounds like a plan, I know of several cafes in Pocklington. :biggrin:

JamesM

Sounds interesting. Nice flat 14ish miles back to York, over an hour to get there, I reckon even I could make that in plenty of time! (Save me a good spot...)

What time would everyone meet in Pocklington? I reckon my best bet would be 2 trains into York and then cycle out from there.

Arch

Married to Night Train
I was in Pocklington just 4 hours ago...

There was a bit in the local paper in the cafe, about the stage, they reckoned the peleton gets to Pock at 12.39 (nice and specific?:smile:). How about we aim to meet for midday, and have lunch somewhere. A few forummers know my fave cafe, but there are plenty, if the town is busy - it might well be, it's a busy little place most days.

I managed to have headwinds both ways :biggrin: and my route (20 miles, not the main road!) took me just over an hour and a half. So to be in Pock by noon, I'd be wanting to leave with anyone who wanted to join me by 10.15ish to be on the safe side. I really tried to put my foot down today, but that 90mins seems to be my current limit...

I'm slightly concerned about making it back to York in time to beat the pros - but I'm happy to be left behind if people want to crack on. If there was time after the finish, we could always have a pub/cafe rendezvous in York.

I'll have a look at the map and see if there's a shorter way back that doesn't involve the A1079, which is not a road I'd ride for any distance for fun.

<looks at map> Yes, i have it here...

Ok, we might have a shorter route (via Barmby Moor and Elvington) that involves just half a mile of the main road. I'll try and sus it out soon, see if it's do-able.

OP
OP
craigwend

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
I wondered about us ER folk meeting up at Beverley Minster at about 10ish - which will (should) give us enough time to get cake etc before the ride comes through Pocklington (I'm also arranging to meet @ POCK mrs craigwend & jrs for; tea, cakes & knowing the girls ice cream:smile:)

we could follow this old route of solty's to Pock
http://www.bikehike.co.uk/mapview.php?id=6340

Then using the skills & navigational craft of 'Arch-the Navigator' (tm)to steer us to the finish at York - though please no off road stuff as my skinny wheels don't like it...

HelenD123

Legendary Member
Solty's route is basically route 66 and I haven't found a quicker way to Pock (apart from the A1079). I think it took me about 2 hours to get from Beverley to Pock last weekend so a 10am start sounds about right.

Top Bottom