"Tour of Britain - Stage 1 (12/9/09)Exciting meet up ride"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Ok, I'll look at that, cheers, I didn't spot the 'detailed' map...

I've sussed the shortest route through to Heworth from the Elvington Road, well there are several options, I'll have a pootle about at the weekend to find the nicest.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Is it me, or is that a slightly bizarre way to present the map - the route runs South to North, but the map segments are stacked the other way, so that the route doesn't join up...

Anyway, it helps....

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Arch said:
Is it me, or is that a slightly bizarre way to present the map - the route runs South to North, but the map segments are stacked the other way, so that the route doesn't join up...

LOL that was my first thought too.
Just looking at the route & it appears to use the level crossing at Howden ;)
Could be interesting, the riders are due in Goole around 11.40 & I reckon about another 10 mins to Howden. There's a trains due approx 11.50 & 11.58 so that could cause slight problems :biggrin:

Arch

Married to Night Train
Soltydog said:
LOL that was my first thought too.
Just looking at the route & it appears to use the level crossing at Howden :wacko:
Could be interesting, the riders are due in Goole around 11.40 & I reckon about another 10 mins to Howden. There's a trains due approx 11.50 & 11.58 so that could cause slight problems :biggrin:

I suppose they can't close the railway like they can the road...?:welcome:

Wow, that would be a good excuse for losing - "I was at the back of the pack and the front got through before the barrier came down...."

Make 'em stop for traffic lights too....;)

mike e

Arch said:
I suppose they can't close the railway like they can the road...?:evil:

Wow, that would be a good excuse for losing - "I was at the back of the pack and the front got through before the barrier came down...."

Make 'em stop for traffic lights too....;)

Didn't the Tour once get stopped at a railway crossing??

Hello all by the way, I've been following this thread as I might join you if that's ok? I am away on Thursday and Friday and back home either Friday night or Saturday so cannot confirm 100% as yet.

Arch

Married to Night Train
mike e said:
Didn't the Tour once get stopped at a railway crossing??

Hello all by the way, I've been following this thread as I might join you if that's ok? I am away on Thursday and Friday and back home either Friday night or Saturday so cannot confirm 100% as yet.

The more the merrier!

Hmm, we should arrange a place for the two clans to meet in Pocklington. If we're aiming to be there for 12, I think that gives us half an hour to kill/have tea/chips whatever - or perhaps we should bag a vantage point early. Is the sprint just outside the school?

Even if we don't manage to find each other before the stage pases through (I have no idea how crowded Pocklington will be, maybe not very), we need a rendezvous point for joining up to ride to York. Thinking about the roads that are likely to be closed, and the one-way system, I'm thinking something like outside Somerfield, which is opposite the tower end of the church....

Mind you, I have phone numbers for a couple of the Hull posse, but it's good to have a backup plan.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Uncle Phil said:
TinyTwin and I will, it seems, definitely miss all this excitement.

We expect a full report, with pictures (and ideally, samples of cake) on our return.

Of course.

I have a new recipe, for Bakewell Meringue slices. I can experiment on the 12th....

OP
OP
craigwend

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
So for those of us from East Yorkshire / Hull area, can we meet up at Beverely Minster on the corner of Highgate - we met there for a York ride.

I suggest we meet at 9:30, this gives us plenty of time to get there (11:30ish) , and if we set of a few minutes late we should still have plenty of time (to get to the cake shop first:smile:.)

So who's still interested in setting of from Beverley?

Helen,
Zack,
Comedy-P,
V-Dad,
Mikeeee,
Admin,
others, lurkers to the thread & board???

mike e

I'll be there all been well but it's going to be a late decision for me, away down south and it depends on when I return home. All been well it should be Friday night, I'll keep you posted.

zacklaws

Guru
craigwend said:
So for those of us from East Yorkshire / Hull area, can we meet up at Beverely Minster on the corner of Highgate - we met there for a York ride.

I suggest we meet at 9:30, this gives us plenty of time to get there (11:30ish) , and if we set of a few minutes late we should still have plenty of time (to get to the cake shop first:smile:.)

So who's still interested in setting of from Beverley?

Helen,
Zack,
Comedy-P,
V-Dad,
Mikeeee,
Admin,
others, lurkers to the thread & board???

I will be driving down to the start at Scunthorpe, hopefully a couple of hours before it does, that will give me a chance to get some good pics of riders, bikes etc. Then I will move to somewhere around Goole, maybe another spot, before going to the finish in York.

I find it is a bit too fast to see anything on route, it happens too quick. so I always go to the start if possible as my first viewing preference as I can do a bit of mingling, and there may always be that possibilty of freebies.

Then when I get home watch it on TV in the evening.

OP
OP
craigwend

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
Hopefully catch up with you in York then.

It's good to see the begining, thats what some of us did last year & then moved up to a mid point, never saw the end though...

though solty & my friend (richard) did get mistaken for pro-riders and it was halfway through the interview before the 14 year old (well he looked it) reporter clicked on (& solty and richard), he did not mistake me for a pro-rider though :eek:?

some good pics and videos though -see below

http://www.cyclechat.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=17950&page=6

JRAB

I was thinking to follow roughly this plan too - catch the race either Melbourne or Pocklington and then on to the finish in York. Anybody heading out from East Leeds / Garforth / Sherburn? Fancy meeting at the Podger pub (Garforth) 9:30am?

Reckon it might be a bit tight getting to York from Pock in time to find a good spot at the finish - likely to be traffic congestion from closed roads plus lots of other cyclists with the same idea...! I might just head for Melbourne (5-10 mins earlier on the route) and then straight up B1228. The "sprint" in Pock might not turn out to be much, quite likely to be a breakaway given the course. Anyone know if there's a cafe in Melbourne?

Rich.

Top Bottom