Tour of Britain Stage 8 Surrey 16th Sep

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

StuartG

slower but further
Here the photos I took at the junction of the A246 and Staple Lane at East Clandon:

Grandstanding ...

ride_120916f.jpg

Hot Fuzzie Sweeties (but only to the under age) ...
ride_120916e.jpg

Gang of Four leaders ...
ride_120916d.jpg

The pelaton ...
ride_120916c.jpg

Off to see Frank ...
ride_120916b.jpg

What's the meaning of this?
ride_120916a.jpg

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
I'll post up some photos when I've taken a look at them.
There's a bundle up now on the photo gallery forum.

frank9755

Cyclist
Here the photos I took at the junction of the A246 and Staple Lane at East Clandon:
Stuart,
That was where I saw them the first time! I was standing on the traffic island on the left of your pictures looking up the road.
I thought that one of the later riders was lucky not to get knocked off by a team car on that corner - but I guess they are used to riding with them and know what they are doing.

StuartG

slower but further
That was where I saw them the first time! I was standing on the traffic island on the left of your pictures looking up the road.
Looking for you ...
ride_120916k.jpg

This is what we looked like ... the handsomest bunch of Anerlerians you'll find anywhere!
ride_120916g.jpg

Couldn't put a foot wrong ...
ride_120916h.jpg

OP
OP
Trickedem

Trickedem

Guru
Fantastic day out. I caught the train up from home and then cycled with Ianrauk up Chipstead Valley to the top of Pebblecombe Hilll. I have cycled down the valley before, which is a delight, but even going up it is very pleasant and the surface is pristine. We arrived at Pebblecombe about 2 hours earlier than planned, so we did two circuits of the Olympic road route. It was great to see so many cyclists out on the road, there were hundreds of riders doing a 75 mile Bikeathon ride, which also involved them doing a couple of loops of the circuit. For some of the riders this didn't appear to be much of a challenge, but there were plenty of people who were clearly earning their sponsorship money, so well done to them!
We waited on Dorking High Street for the ride to come through. The atmosphere was great and the the crowd was 2 or 3 deep in places. Loads of cyclists were there as well and before the road closed they were all getting cheered as they went past. After all the build up, the lead group and the peloton went by in a flash, but we quickly jumped back on our bikes to follow the broom wagon and get our own cheering from the crowds and also lots of banter about how slow we were going.

We then headed up to Ranmore Common. Wow that is a beast of a hill! Far worse than Box Hill. We then parked up on Crocknorth Hill, which was a really good spot as the riders came past fairly slowly. There were several hundred people on the hill, so the atmosphere was brilliant. The Peleton were clearly catching the break away, as there was only a gap of a couple of minutes.

We then headed back home over Box Hill, for the third time, then it was near enough down hill all the way via Chipstead Valley Road.

Tompy

Mrs Tompy and I were guests of Yodel at yesterday’s stage and we got to ride in a car (Media 2) in the race convoy. What an eye-opener that was.

In the VIP area at the start in Reigate there were complimentary pastries and coffee plus some juicy gossip about certain high profile riders. We showed a common touch by chatting to the Halls over the barrier (only joking Tim). ;-)

The commissaires radio channel was on in the car so we heard all the time-checks (not very scientific), race news, and some banter. Our car started ahead of the peloton and stayed there until the breakaway had formed. The start was delayed for 15 minutes because the Police radio system was down. Riders were sent back to their buses. Then they got some comms working and brought the start forward again but apparently some riders were late and the race rolled away in the neutralised section minus a full peloton. Then we waited for the gap to reach two and half minutes which allowed us to pull over and get in between the break and the peloton. The driver then got us right up to the breakaway riders before dropping back again to be replaced by another guest car. As soon as the gap came down we had to get out of that space and that was fun too speeding away from the break on the twisty lanes. We were never much more than a minute ahead of the race and at one point the driver in front was treating a descent so carefully that we concertinaed enough for the break to almost catch us.

When the peloton passed through Guildford for the first time, there was some concern on the radio about the deviation at the finish being too narrow. Shortly afterwards, everyone was reassured that it was still being built and would be fine by the time we came round again.

The crowds were incredible along the whole route. I’ve been going to the Tour de France for years and I’ve watched whole stages on TV and this was way beyond anything there. The driver was beeping the car horn and we were waving almost the whole time – of course we’re not famous or anything but most people, particularly little kids, at the side of the road appreciate it and adds to the excitement.

Being in ”the bubble” and witnessing the rolling road closure was incredible. The police and the motorbike marshals do an amazing job but we were horrified as we approached Guildford for the final time: there were a lot of oncoming cars and even a bus inside the last 2km! Of course, we were ahead of the race but not by much. Then as we raced over the cobbles to the finish line we came to an abrupt stop as a team van was stuck in the deviation exit. One by one cars and motorbikes started arriving behind the stricken van. The crowd were jeering as the commentator was describing the final km’s of the race – they and we knew we were in danger of an highly embarrassing and potentially dangerous climax to the Tour. Finally one of the ToB guys sprang into life and shouted and gesticulated for all the cars to reverse enough to let the van out. The crowd cheered as the traffic jam cleared and we hurtled around the deviation. We jumped out of the Skoda and ran to the course just as Cav began his sprint. We couldn’t see the finish line but we were right in front of the podium and just the width of the narrow road from where Cav collapsed and a slightly lost-looking Tiernan-Locke milled around.

The Team Sky riders did their thing, hugging Cav and they all congratulated JTL too, apart from Cavendish who pointedly ignored him. As usual Cav’s bird, Peta Todd, was there with their baby and her son and they were ushered into the area behind the podium. Meanwhile the winner of the Yodel sprints jersey, Peter Williams, came over to the barrier to hug his girlfriend who had to stand around and queue like a normal punter. The podium presentations at the ToB have a slightly shambolic feel to them in comparison to the ceremonies at the TDF and once again Jon Tiernan-Locke hurled his bouquet of flowers into the crowd. To my surprise it was arcing my way and I reached up and grabbed it to the delight of Mrs Tompy who has always wanted a rider to give her his flowers (this was close enough).

To be honest before yesterday we wondered whether being in a car might be a bit boring. We’d already passed-up the chance of a car ride on Stage 1 for logistical and dog reasons but we thought we’d give it a go here. If you ever get the chance, go for it - it’s bloody brilliant.

Top Bottom