Tour of Flanders spoilers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Foghat

Freight-train-groove-rider
Another impressive attacking ride and solo win from van Vleuten. Forced the pace on the narrow road leading in to the foot of the Paterberg, sustained the effort all the way up the steep rough climb and proceeded to ride away from them all, time-trialling to the finish ahead of a concerted chase. Pleasing to see older riders winning.....although was hoping Audrey Cordon Bleu might have succeeded in her long-range escape.

This model of scheduling the women's race to finish a couple of hours after the men's seems to work quite well - we get to see a reasonably decent amount of the women's race this way. The men must have to get out of bed even earlier than before, though.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Adam4868

Adam4868

Guru
Just watched the last 50k on catch up...wow ! Strongest man won there today.Every credit to Asgreen was willing him to win in that two up finish.

Chislenko

Veteran
Trentin's wheel change?

I'm not sure who was affected just saw quite a few riders standing helpless holding their bikes not even able to get the wheel off ready for a replacement.

Then eventually someone turns up undoing and doing up the through axle by hand.

You can't even borrow a "less important" team mates wheel because you can't get them off!

Crazy stupid ruling.

Totally different to tossing food wrappers.

🤦‍♀️

OP
OP
Adam4868

Adam4868

Guru
Solution to the problem ?

Have to say that, although I thought the DQ was extremely harsh, the littering rule is a good one.

From spending far too many hours watching cycling on telly I'd say that only a very small minority of bottles are thrown to spectators. Most bottles and wrappers and so on just chucked any old where, which pisses me off no end.

And don't forget that there was much bellyaching that the UCI must do something during the last Giro when two crashes were caused by bottles.

I don't think it's a new rule either. Like the contact points rule it's just a case of enforcing existing rules.
Yes, I'm VERY keen on stopping litter - but this is too crude a solution, in a sport that has run on discretion for a century.
Bidons for the fans is a long-running tradition.
Worth reading these testimonials:
https://cyclingtips.com/2021/04/sch...throw-dsq-we-are-the-most-approachable-sport/

View: https://twitter.com/alexdowsett/status/1379007876807659520?s=20

Sledgehammer/nut
baby and bathwater.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Complain if you like, but it sounds like special pleading for allowing cycle events to continue to flytip wrappers and bottles along their whole route. This improvement should affect far more sportive riders than the supertuck ban. Littering simply isn't acceptable any more.

Top Bottom