Tour of Flanders spoilers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Adam4868

Adam4868

Guru
Complain if you like, but it sounds like special pleading for allowing cycle events to continue to flytip wrappers and bottles along their whole route. This improvement should affect far more sportive riders than the supertuck ban. Littering simply isn't acceptable any more.
I take your point regarding littering.But disqualified for throwing to spectators ? If it was seen as unsafe maybe.Im pretty sure your allowed to pass them to them,but just not throw.Maybe a time penalty at worst...but you've got to feel for the riders getting booted off for it.

Complain if you like, but it sounds like special pleading for allowing cycle events to continue to flytip wrappers and bottles along their whole route. This improvement should affect far more sportive riders than the supertuck ban. Littering simply isn't acceptable any more.
Sportive riders aren't generally throwing bottles. They will be fans of the sport (or "racing wannabees" if you prefer); they know about throwing bottles to fans, and peeps collecting them as souvenirs.

And no-one here is supporting the "flytiping of wrappers".

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Sportive riders aren't generally throwing bottles. They will be fans of the sport (or "racing wannabees" if you prefer); they know about throwing bottles to fans, and peeps collecting them as souvenirs.
That is not what I've seen and if it is so rare, why else are biodegrading bottles sold to sportivers lately?

And no-one here is supporting the "flytiping of wrappers".
Same rule, isn't it?

Make an exception for throwing to fans and every rider will claim to have seen a fan who did not collect the bottle, so you can kiss the rule goodbye. Let fans who want bottles go to the discard zone.

mjr

mjr

Not a great idea during a pandemic ( or "post-pandemic") period. Have you thought this through?
Yes. Have you thought it through for now? I think fans were banned Sunday on pain of €250 fine, but I assume the police were too busy to verbalise all of the ones not at their own or friends' homes.

The caravan was not present Sunday due to the pandemic. Should riders really be handing out rewards for disobeying the request to stay away and watch on TV? If anything, it justifies a penalty more.

While I do think that DQ'ing Shar was heavy handed and OTT, I think some on social media (not necessarily here) are laying it on a bit thick with the "won't somebody think of the kiddies, reaching out with their pitiful little hands for a souvenir bottle". As if handing out plastic bottles to orphans was in the founding articles of the UCI.
Are you including Alex Dowsett in that?

(You're probably right about "... being made examples of "pour encourager les autres"." French lingo always impresses me! )

As said above if seen throwing bottles away into fields ar down the road , then fine but throwing to spectators has always been doe surely discretion could be used sensibly.....yeah i know..... sensibly ......some chance of that happening:laugh:

As said above if seen throwing bottles away into fields ar down the road , then fine but throwing to spectators has always been doe surely discretion could be used sensibly.....yeah i know..... sensibly ......some chance of that happening:laugh:
Discretion has been a pillar of road-racing since the year dot. (it is mainly run by the French!). Not always perfect, but as we so often see, badly written rules - adhered to without flexibilty - are almost always worse ...

(Or should sticky bottles be banned too ... )

Top Bottom