Tour of Fr Stage 2 the mountain at holme roads closed?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ransom1980

Hi all im not sure what the road over the mountain with the big pylons up there is called but I was hoping to watch the tour from the very top

It joins holme (firth) with the road near glossop resevoirs

Does anyone know what time the roads will be closing?
We will be coming via car from the glossop resevoirs and hoping yo get up there to watch

Roads in and around the holme moss area will be closed 5am Saturday (Day before)
the caravan will pass through Holme 13.07 ... riders 14.44
The road of the tour (Holme moss) will close 40/30 mins before the caravan

Best to take the car as close as you can and ride your bike to a place you wish to see them !
I will be on Holme moss my self ...I will be riding there ..

Last edited:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
It isn't a mountain, it is a big hill called Holme Moss!

You will not be able to drive within miles of it and the crowds up there will be enormous. You would probably have to go up there at sunrise or even before.

I tried to go up there to watch the Kellogg's Tour tackle the climb and didn't manage to get closer than Digley Reservoir a few miles away. We had to park the van and run to Holme Village to get there in time to see the riders go by. The road all the way up the climb was lined about 3 deep both sides by spectators. The Tour de France crowds will be much bigger so set off very early and/or try to find somewhere a bit less popular!

MikeW-71

Veteran
I'm off work that day and fancy going to watch. I'd need to fond a place within range to park the car and then ride the rest of the way. Any suggestions?

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
The whole of Holmfirth is likely to be rammed. Displaced residents will be filling any available space - and there aren't that many to start with.
There is a massive car-park planned on the Greenfield road (A635) which is about 2 miles away from the base of the Moss - think they're looking for £10.00 a day.

Huddersfield has loads of parking, but will probably be VERY busy as the tour goes round the ring-road.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
I'm off work that day and fancy going to watch. I'd need to fond a place within range to park the car and then ride the rest of the way. Any suggestions?

Assuming you're coming from Carlisle there are a few options. A good one might be drive to Glossop (M6, M61,M60,M67), park up and then it is about a 10 mile ride to the top of Holme Moss. The road closures will not effect Glossop directly although there will be a temporary one way system. Should be plenty of places to park on a Sunday if you look on the side roads in the town.

Other good alternative is somewhere just off the M62 but I'll let the locals like @ColinJ advise on that

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Hi all im not sure what the road over the mountain with the big pylons up there is called but I was hoping to watch the tour from the very top

It joins holme (firth) with the road near glossop resevoirs

Does anyone know what time the roads will be closing?
We will be coming via car from the glossop resevoirs and hoping yo get up there to watch

You won't get any closer than Glossop. The Torside Road (the one that goes from Glossop towards Holme Moss via the Glossop reservoirs) will be open but there is no parking allowed and it will be closed at its junction with the Woodhead Pass road.

There is a shuttle bus running from Glossop to the end of the Torside Road but after that you have no option but a stiff 3 mile walk to get to the top of Holme Moss

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I think the top of Ripponden Bank might be a better place to go. It is a steep little climb so it would be a good vantage point. It also has the advantage that a big screen is going to be erected by the pub at the top, so you would be able to watch the rest of the stage on that.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
http://www.derbyshire.gov.uk/commun...e_2014/information_for_spectators/default.asp
All the info you need re getting to Holme Moss from the Derbyshire side

tug benson

Survived the Tour O the borders 2013
Top Bottom