Tour of Hampshire CC Ride - 4th April

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Can I come, can I come? I'll need to make sure I've scrubbed the scullery, blacked the grate and darned Mrs Dr Bollo's socks then I may be allowed out.

The Cliddesden Hill bit near Basingstoke is on one of my commute routes home to Winchester. Fear that hill! Fear it!

DJ

Formerly known as djtheglove
Bollo said:
Can I come, can I come? I'll need to make sure I've scrubbed the scullery, blacked the grate and darned Mrs Dr Bollo's socks then I may be allowed out.

The Cliddesden Hill bit near Basingstoke is on one of my commute routes home to Winchester. Fear that hill! Fear it!

Hills:ohmy:!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! No one said anything about hills!!!!!!!

Pottsy

Auntie Helen said:
Well, someone did say there were a few hills but that the route would be changed to iron them out. Apparently. Hopefully :smile:

I don't do hills well :sad:

Auntie Helen, if you go down the hills as quick as we know you can you'll probably still be waiting for us at the top of the next one anyway! :smile:

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
Pottsy said:
Auntie Helen, if you go down the hills as quick as we know you can you'll probably still be waiting for us at the top of the next one anyway! ;)
This is what I used to assume would happen; sadly it doesn't work like that. I'm maybe 10% faster on the downhill but 50% slower on the uphill. Although see my signature, SOMEONE thinks I'm improving!

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Sorry all, I didn't mean to put the scares on.

FTR - it's strictly called White Hill. Out of Cliddesden village its 1.5 miles with an average incline of 4%, but there's a little dip after the school. The main bit is 0.6 miles at an average of 6%, with a nasty little sharp bit at the end that hits 11-12%. The surfacing is a bit ordinary as well. Coming down it is a real thrill, going up less so. Near the pub-stop though.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
I'm holding fire on my final decision until nearer the time. I finally breached the 12mph average for my commute yesterday, but that's nowhere near as hilly as this run. I'm hoping I can be nearer to 13mph by then but may not be able to achieve that if it's really hilly.

stevevw

Guru
Bollo said:
with a nasty little sharp bit at the end that hits 11-12%.

11-12% thats nothing Helen can climb 60+% her Garmin says so. ;)

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
stevevw said:
63% actually; pah, 60% is nothing.

I hasten to remind you, Steve, that my Garmin used to be yours, so perhaps you've cunningly persuaded it to read rather high to make me overconfident!

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
stevevw said:
I take it this ride isn't being run under the UCI's biological passport programme then?;)

Davywalnuts

Chief Kebab Taster
For the mads one like me, cycling there and back, there is a lovely "student" pub in Englefield green, and near'ish the train station that we can always stop of at if we cant be assed with the remaining few miles and wanna get lashed instead? Its got plenty of space for bike parking and i think does food too! Monkeys Forehead if anyone knows it!

Davywalnuts

Chief Kebab Taster
Yeh, roughly, 80 - 90 miles or so.. Just an idea and see how we feel on the day.. There's also a few pubs on Staines riverside that would be cycle friendly enough, plus then train from Staines might be easier for you..

I think so, not been to the rugby club there, but its on Egham Hill, cheap booze and birds.. More around Radius's age however.. Am far to mature for them youngens...

DJ

Formerly known as djtheglove
Ok, here is what I might do, get the train from Clapham junction like potsy said, meet somewhere, some hardy souls for the ride down , and then do some of the ride back with view to getting to the pub(if I have time). Sounds like a plan to me.:biggrin:

Pottsy

djtheglove said:
Ok, here is what I might do, get the train from Clapham junction like potsy said, meet somewhere, some hardy souls for the ride down , and then do some of the ride back with view to getting to the pub(if I have time). Sounds like a plan to me.:sad:

Exactly my thoughts. Train down, ride loop, start making way cycling back, stop in pub...err, see how it goes. :smile:

Top Bottom