Tour of the Basque Country, 1-6 April [** SPOILERS **]

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Gora Euskadi

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
I'd like to see Sergio Henao let off the leash for this, but I suspect he'll be working for Porte this time. Maybe next year he'll be allowed a go at something.

beastie

Guru
I'd like to see Sergio Henao let off the leash for this, but I suspect he'll be working for Porte this time. Maybe next year he'll be allowed a go at something.
Porte looks very lean, and his form is great. He could be right up in a GT the way he is going. What a guy to have as a super domestique.

OP
OP
Buddfox

Buddfox

Veteran
I was wondering about that... I'm expecting Contador to be a step forward, but Porte was really strong in Paris-Nice, and having an outstanding season (witness his performance over the weekend).

lukesdad

I was wondering about that... I'm expecting Contador to be a step forward, but Porte was really strong in Paris-Nice, and having an outstanding season (witness his performance over the weekend).
His performance over what exactly ?

The Couch

Über Member
Do you really think Bertie is going to show his form to Sky ?
I don't think it's in Contador's nature to not try to win a race. In the past he used to show his form from the start of his season (Volta ao Algarve) until the Tour started.So despite the lack of quality steaks in the Basque Country :smile: and the difficulties he has been getting from Sky (last year and this year) I still see him attacking each change he has.

...Now if his attacks will be strong enough to drop the rest like it would have been 2-3 years ago, I have no idea.

And I am guessing he probably wants to give Sky a (small) mental blow, that their strategy won't work always against him. Especially since Froome is missing, he doesn't want to be overwhelmed with interviews/questions about the fact that he can't even defeat Froome's lieutenant.

That being said, I would (unfortunately) put Valverde defintely up there as well. And I am wondering if we will see something from Anton or Sanchez (this should be Euskaltel's "Tour de France", right?).

OP
OP
Buddfox

Buddfox

Veteran
Agreed.

He needs to lay down a marker, and I don't think he's done that yet this season. Psychologically that will be important for him to put Sky on notice - and this is the perfect event to do it at.

tigger

Über Member
Contador always races to win, love him or loath him that's what he does. So I'll be amazed if he doesn't do the same here :smile:

I don't think Contador held anything back in either Oman or Tirreno-Adriatico, its early season but he just wasn't quite good enough. So this makes the head to head with Porte very attractive, as I think Porte's every bit as good as Froome at this moment

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
The way Saxo are setting the pace on the front of the peloton at the moment makes it pretty clear what Contador's intentions are in this race...

Top Bottom