Tour of the Basque Country, 1-6 April [** SPOILERS **]

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
So far, the day has been dominated by a long escape featuring Basque rider, Amets Txurruka (Caja Rural), who has been mopping up the mountain points. It was at over 5 minutes at best and now it's coming down to nearer 4 with 50km to go, so I don't think it will last but there are 4 others in the break including a teammate of Txurruka's, so you never know.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Movistar are riding like corporate bullies up the penultimate* climb... I don't see the escape succeeding.

Interesting to see Andy Schleck near the front of the peloton and looking reasonably comfortable at the moment. If he can keep his head on the descent before the final climb, he could even be in with a chance of winning this stage!

Looks more like a stage for Henao or Quintana though.

*edit: my mistake - there's actually another cat 3 lump before the final climb.

beastie

Guru
Henao takes a good win. He leads GC by 8 secs from Quintana, Porte and Clenbutador 2 further back. That flat section made for an interesting finish, it helped bring the group back together only for it to splinter on that last ramp.

It's a shame Henao can't TT, is it Porte v Bertie for the overall?

lukesdad

From the pictures ive seen its not clear how Henao made the jump. One moment the pics showed the climbing from the rear behind the M/cycles and the next shot from above he was clear. Was it power or did he take advantage of the confusion and see a gap in the congestion can anybody clarify for me ?

The Couch

Über Member
Henao should be a cert for the Tdf
In my opinion, I believe Sky should send Henao to the Vuelta and go for (the) 3 grand tour victories.
(Although I still don't think that Wiggo will win the Giro this year)
I would send Henao first to the Giro as masterhelper/lieutenant for Wiggins and let me have a go at it in the Vuelta - and if you would send him to the Tour, he might not be recovered in time for the Vuelta.

You could argue that Uran - being roughly a year older than Henao - deserves a chance in the Vuelta as well (first), but you can send them both and see who is best.
But still if you're Sky, you would be looking to use one of them in the Giro and one in the Tour, and the one doing the Giro most likely will have an advantage.

Now I know ... :smile:.... with the form Porte has this year, you could definitely use him as well (in the Vuelta). But he will be most likely knackered after the Tour, since I expect him to be able to go for a top 10 place there (similar to Froome last year).

Actually... Sky just has a luxury problem ^_^... let some of these guys go to other teams.... :smile:

oldroadman

Veteran
In my opinion, I believe Sky should send Henao to the Vuelta and go for (the) 3 grand tour victories.
(Although I still don't think that Wiggo will win the Giro this year)
I would send Henao first to the Giro as masterhelper/lieutenant for Wiggins and let me have a go at it in the Vuelta - and if you would send him to the Tour, he might not be recovered in time for the Vuelta.

You could argue that Uran - being roughly a year older than Henao - deserves a chance in the Vuelta as well (first), but you can send them both and see who is best.
But still if you're Sky, you would be looking to use one of them in the Giro and one in the Tour, and the one doing the Giro most likely will have an advantage.

Now I know ... :smile:.... with the form Porte has this year, you could definitely use him as well (in the Vuelta). But he will be most likely knackered after the Tour, since I expect him to be able to go for a top 10 place there (similar to Froome last year).

Actually... Sky just has a luxury problem ^_^... let some of these guys go to other teams.... :smile:

Two things can happen post-Tour, either as said you are knackered and need a lot of recovery (especcially if you've been a bit ill during the race but battled on) or a week off and you don't feel the pedals and simply fly. Which is great unless you are in a race with other blokes from the TdF who are feeling the same! General wisdom is that for a GC rider or quality domestique, two GTs a year are possible, with the right recovery and training, and plenty of rest periods.

Radchenister

Veteran
2013_tour_of_the_basque_country_stage4_profile_zps656ca392.jpg

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Question on the commentary: why is it called the ''queen stage'' as opposed to ''king stage?'' Anyone here know? Is it from ''étape reine'' in which étape is feminine, forcing the adjective ''reine'' ?

yello

Nasty wet out there. I really wouldn't want to be riding in those conditions, much less descending at 65kph!

Top Bottom