Tourer?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
col said:
Iv just had a look around my area and other than most shops being closed there seems to be a road race or mountain bike theme, dissapointing.

On my last visit to Darlo, I called into the Bike shop in Bondgate and was not that impressed with their knowledge or stock of touring specific bikes and bike bits. To be fair though, bikes shops tend to stock what there is a demand for. Have you been over to Richmond? http://www.arthurcaygillcycles.co.uk/
He has a range of Hybrids from the Dawes range that might fit the bill providing you are happy with flat bars.

Having left the town for Leeds in 1977, I'm a bit out of touch with the cycling scene in Darlington and its environs as the places to go to in my youth were: Joe Clemensons on North Road and the Taylor brothers over in Stockton or if wanting to travel further afield Ron Kitching in Harrogate.

My local bike shop in Leeds does not stock tourers but will order one or even handbuild one for customers. EBC stocks tourers but it is not a typical bike shop. It doesn't cope with orders for bits for older drive trains and the assistants are clueless when something not terribly out of the ordinary is asked for.

If you want a dropped bar tourer then I'd take a punt on mail ordering a Raleigh Royale. I rode with a Royale owner/rider today for the second 100km audax that we've ridden together. He's still very happy with the bike six weeks after we last rode together and he's completed seven 100km audaxes on it. He's no lightweight (until he's compared against my carcase) and the bike is coping well.

OP
OP
col

col

Legendary Member
vernon said:
On my last visit to Darlo, I called into the Bike shop in Bondgate and was not that impressed with their knowledge or stock of touring specific bikes and bike bits. To be fair though, bikes shops tend to stock what there is a demand for. Have you been over to Richmond? http://www.arthurcaygillcycles.co.uk/
He has a range of Hybrids from the Dawes range that might fit the bill providing you are happy with flat bars.

Having left the town for Leeds in 1977, I'm a bit out of touch with the cycling scene in Darlington and its environs as the places to go to in my youth were: Joe Clemensons on North Road and the Taylor brothers over in Stockton or if wanting to travel further afield Ron Kitching in Harrogate.

Oh forgot to mention Iron horse cycles in clarks yard.

My local bike shop in Leeds does not stock tourers but will order one or even handbuild one for customers. EBC stocks tourers but it is not a typical bike shop. It doesn't cope with orders for bits for older drive trains and the assistants are clueless when something not terribly out of the ordinary is asked for.

If you want a dropped bar tourer then I'd take a punt on mail ordering a Raleigh Royale. I rode with a Royale owner/rider today for the second 100km audax that we've ridden together. He's still very happy with the bike six weeks after we last rode together and he's completed seven 100km audaxes on it. He's no lightweight (until he's compared against my carcase) and the bike is coping well.

That one in bondgate on the corner was shut, Ill get in to have a look on tuesday. But the cycle shop scene has changed since you were here, there used to be a good one at the end of skinnergate near the grainge road roundabout, one opposite the civic but this was a small one, one at the top of yarm road on the roundabout, there was always one halfway up skinnergate too called skinnergate cycles, which closed about a year or two ago, all the others Iv mentioned have gone also. The remaining ones I know off are halfords on the ringroad next to the now closed MFI shop, the one in bondgate, and one up north road opposite where a Caygills used to be which closed some time ago now. Oh and a new one has opened on the north road/albert road junction which used to be a barclays bank, Ill have to get a look in there too.
But it does look like I will be travelling a little further to look, and those you suggested are good candidates, thanks.
The Raleigh royal sounds interesting, Ill take a browse, thanks again.

vernon

col said:
The remaining ones I know off are halfords on the ringroad next to the now closed MFI shop, the one in bondgate, and one up north road opposite where a Caygills used to be which closed some time ago now. Oh and a new one has opened on the north road/albert road junction which used to be a barclays bank, Ill have to get a look in there too.
But it does look like I will be travelling a little further to look, and those you suggested are good candidates, thanks.
The Raleigh royal sounds interesting, Ill take a browse, thanks again.

If the bike shop in North Road is still trading - don't waste your time going there. It does not cater for anything beyond bicycle shaped objects and if it has not closed down it is due to as the premises have been sold.

OP
OP
col

col

Legendary Member
vernon said:
If the bike shop in North Road is still trading - don't waste your time going there. It does not cater for anything beyond bicycle shaped objects and if it has not closed down it is due to as the premises have been sold.

The one opposite the garage and station road you mean? If that was the one then I know what you mean, I wasnt in a hurry to check theirs, It was going to be a last resort to see if things had improved. But noted all the same , thanks.

vernon

col said:
The one opposite the garage and station road you mean? If that was the one then I know what you mean, I wasnt in a hurry to check theirs, It was going to be a last resort to see if things had improved. But noted all the same , thanks.

Yes that's the one. I know the owner and he's targeting the low end of the bike market. I'm surprised that he makes a living out of the place to be honest.

OP
OP
col

col

Legendary Member
vernon said:
Yes that's the one. I know the owner and he's targeting the low end of the bike market. I'm surprised that he makes a living out of the place to be honest.

I havnt been in there for years, it always seems to be closed anyway with the shutters down.

OP
OP
col

col

Legendary Member
It looks like Im going to go for the Raleigh royal, but my question now is how does it work if you have a problem with delivery bikes, and after sales service, never done this before so excuse my ignorance.

OP
OP
col

col

Legendary Member
Ok Iv changed my mind, Im now looking at a basic racer, what do you all think of the carrera virtuoso, or is there anyone with one ? Any thoughts please would be very helpfull, thanks.

A very poor choice for touring with much luggage. OK for general transport though, if you can fit some mudguards.

vernon

Col,

I think that you'll find the gearing a bit high.

After the purchasing of a mountain bike, I acquired a road bike (12 gears) and found that the gearing was way too high for my considerable weight - at least five stones heavier than you.

The Virtuoso has only 16 gears and although it has a compact chain set you will find hills a bit of a challenge.

I had enough problems with a triple ring chain ring (30 tooth granny ring) set up on a different road bike and had to lower the gearing further by changing the rear cassette to one with 28 teeth.

If you are buying from Halfords, try pedalling up from Halfords to North Road and then up to where the Odeon used to be. That will give you an idea of how suitable/unsuitable the gearing is for you as those hills are not too demanding.

OP
OP
col

col

Legendary Member
vernon said:
Col,

I think that you'll find the gearing a bit high.

After the purchasing of a mountain bike, I acquired a road bike (12 gears) and found that the gearing was way too high for my considerable weight - at least five stones heavier than you.

The Virtuoso has only 16 gears and although it has a compact chain set you will find hills a bit of a challenge.

I had enough problems with a triple ring chain ring (30 tooth granny ring) set up on a different road bike and had to lower the gearing further by changing the rear cassette to one with 28 teeth.

If you are buying from Halfords, try pedalling up from Halfords to North Road and then up to where the Odeon used to be. That will give you an idea of how suitable/unsuitable the gearing is for you as those hills are not too demanding.

You were 24 stone? blimey that must have been resticting for you, I sometimes feel the weight at 19 stone.
You will be surprised to hear Iv changed my mind again, what a pain this has become as I dont want to make a big mistake, as its going to last me a while when I do get one.
Hybrid seems to be on my mind a lot now, as it will fill all my needs except the drops, which Im thinking can be sorted with some sort of add ons to the flat bars to give me a more aero position in winds ect? Also a rack on the back and a couple of bottle cages and Im away. Now which one????? I dont want to go over 400 if possible, and remember seeing some nice ones between 300 and 400. Any recommendations for hybrids ?
I use that particular road often in the car, but not on the bike unless coming down hill as the traffic is terrible there now.

Thanks all for the responses.

I think you're too heavy to be comfortable on a bike with 23mm tyres.
I'm 20ish stone and my Galaxy has 35mm tyres, far better for the larger gentleman although even these are on the skinny side for me with luggage if I go offroad.
You should really look at something secondhand. IME nothing at the price you want to pay new will come with reliable wheels. There really is nothing like a handbuilt wheel, they pay for themselves because you don't have to do anything with them.
If I were you, I'd be looking at an old mountain bike, with road-specific tyres at around 1.5" width. In the 80s, mountain bike design was taking its lead from touring bikes, which meant they were really good for road riding.
£400 would buy you a really special one, and you'd have enough left over for other camping stuff and a decent saddle. True, not quite as fast as a road tourer, but comfy all day, and the low gears mean you'll get up any hill.

Top Bottom