Touring and Helmets

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tony

Only when required by law, so "yes" in Australia, "yes" in Slovakia, etc, "no" everywhere else.

Cathryn

Legendary Member
There's no logic to this but I tend not to wear one when on tour. I'd never ride without one in the UK but have this conviction that foreign roads (especially French ones) are safe. Mad, I know.

However I always carry one and if the road is busy and I feel it's safer, I wear one. I always wear a helmet when going down a mountain (even at my slow speeds) and when it's raining.

And if my Mum asks, I ALWAYS wear one.

andym

Über Member
Cathryn said:
I'd never ride without one in the UK but have this conviction that foreign roads (especially French ones) are safe. Mad, I know.

Actually, if you take road fatalities as the measure of safety then British roads are some of the safest in the world (only Norway, Iceland and the Netherlands have lower rates). The fatality rate in France is significantly higher.

But of course there is a world of difference between commuting to work in a town or city and riding a deserted road in the countryside.

dragon72

Guru
HJ said:
Why bother, the things are pretty much useless anyway...

Well, protection from injury aside, I find that they are quite good at keeping my head out of the sun with more ventilation than a hat provides...:becool:

andym said:
Actually, if you take road fatalities as the measure of safety then British roads are some of the safest in the world (only Norway, Iceland and the Netherlands have lower rates). The fatality rate in France is significantly higher.

But of course there is a world of difference between commuting to work in a town or city and riding a deserted road in the countryside.

Not for vulnerable road users IIRC

If you take typical stats (as here then we come out quite poorly - according to this selection, only Italy and Austria are worse for cycle deaths per 100 million kilometres

jay clock

Massive member
Yes. and it is the law in Spain. I take it off on long very steep climbs on very hot days. I like the peak for shading the eyes and I think I look even cooler with it on than not

Top Bottom