Touring and Helmets

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bandini

Don't want to start a row! Just want to ask people who ride tourers at a leisurely pace - do you wear a helmet or not?

I am not convinced, and prefer not too. What do you reckon?

I am asking only tourers, because I won't be going at great speed, and I won't be going off road/doing any crazy stuff!

andym

Über Member
Yes I wear one.

I find that touring I am far more "relaxed" than if, for example, riding the MTB on the trails. I am often glasses off, feet unclipped and on occassion, if not on a road, helmet off as well.......next thing you know I,ll be looking at tweed plus fours;)

OP
OP
Bandini

Bandini

50/50 so far then!

I just can't envisage coming off at a speed where it will make a huge difference. And if I get hit by a car I am road kill anyway, yeah?

dragon72

Guru
A couple of years ago in Spain, I went along a track because the minor road shown on the map did not exist. It was either the track or the motorway. So, as there were no cars about, I took my lid off. (I think helmets are a legal must in Spain, but I might be talking out of my arse here) Anyway, I was pootling along on the track at 15kmh and the surface got steadily worse and all of a sudden a very large pothole gobbled up my front wheel. Over the front I flew and landed on my head. With semi-concussion and blood all over my head, face and t-shirt, I had to be ambulanced 80km all the way back to the city I'd set off from that morning for an x-ray to make sure I hadn't done some serious damage. Luckily there was no serious damage done.
See here for a picture or two:
http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/page/?o=RrzKj&page_id=88630&v=15

I wear a helmet everywhere now. Even at low speeds.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I don't when touring. I probably should as I wear one over here but at a leisurely pace in foreign lands, on minor roads, when it's usually hot, I take the chance.
My touring partner, Mrs rich p, takes one and only wears it in busy towns.

OP
OP
Bandini

Bandini

"The road got rougher and rougher and started to go down hill. Before I knew what had happened, my front wheel found a pot-hole that was about the size of the radius of my front wheel, so there was no way of getting out of that one. The next thing I knew, I landed head and shoulder first onto some rocks."

That is sort of my point. I am riding in the UK, and I won't be going off road.

jags

Guru
yes always wear my helmet actually i'm on my third one .sooner have a broken helmet than a broken skull.speed has nothing to do with it honestly.

Yes. An upside down helmet is quite useful for carrying your shopping in when going around the shops and makes the rain feel less bad when on your head.

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
It's a question i've often thought about.I wear mine all the time when commuting and am planning my first cycle/camping in May but did not fancy sweating like a nutter for 6+ hours.On the other hand they do not only protect if you do have an off but they also keep the rain and (hopefully) sun off you head.I'm taking mine and see how i do.

Bandini said:
"The road got rougher and rougher and started to go down hill. Before I knew what had happened, my front wheel found a pot-hole that was about the size of the radius of my front wheel, so there was no way of getting out of that one. The next thing I knew, I landed head and shoulder first onto some rocks."

QUOTE]

Following an identical incident which destroyed my collar bone and the second impact was my head I now wear a helmet 100% of the time when cycling in the UK

However when I am touring abroad unless it is required by law in the country I am in I never take one with me

andym

Über Member
dragon72 said:
(I think helmets are a legal must in Spain, but I might be talking out of my arse here)

No I think you're right.

skudupnorth said:
It's a question i've often thought about.I wear mine all the time when commuting and am planning my first cycle/camping in May but did not fancy sweating like a nutter for 6+ hours.On the other hand they do not only protect if you do have an off but they also keep the rain and (hopefully) sun off you head.I'm taking mine and see how i do.

I'm wouldn't be so sure about that - unless you you're riding with a helmet without any holes in it (which would be rather sweaty).

My top tip is to take a spare helmet liner with you, so you can wash it every so often.

Top Bottom