Touring around southern Ireland

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
I'm wondering if the OP means Ireland and not the South of Ireland.

Shortest route between the two countries would be between Scotland & Northern Ireland. If she's planning on missing The Six out, she'll be missing a good piece of country for cycling in. Might be down to the image portrayed on tv, but everywhere has places that are similar.

classic33

Leg End Member
Any idea on where you may want to go?
Am looking for some information :reading:about going around southern Ireland what the best road, where to stay ,etc etc its find next year around September :bicycle: thanks flyingfifi:girldance:
Any further ideas on where you want to go yet?

Correction made to post quoted

Last edited:

classic33

Leg End Member
Don't try to camp in March. I looked into riding the East Coast up to Belfast this year but everywhere seemed to be shut.

From where you are Starting and finishing at Belfast would seem easier than getting to Dublin
Larne might be easier, but can she make the departure point this side.

tyred

Legendary Member
I know I'm biased as a NW native but I'd put in a vote for Derry, Donegal and Sligo if you want coastline. Less touristy and usually a lot cheaper and quieter than the usual destinations like Ring of Kerry or the Causeway and no less beautiful. Further inland and the Bluestacks, Sperrins, Derryveagh and Ben Bulbin and Dartry mountains (Yeats' country) offer some stunning scenery as well and little trafficked roads in most cases.

classic33

Leg End Member
I know I'm biased as a NW native but I'd put in a vote for Derry, Donegal and Sligo if you want coastline. Less touristy and usually a lot cheaper and quieter than the usual destinations like Ring of Kerry or the Causeway and no less beautiful. Further inland and the Bluestacks, Sperrins, Derryveagh and Ben Bulbin and Dartry mountains (Yeats' country) offer some stunning scenery as well and little trafficked roads in most cases.
The white house that used to appear in many pictures of Ben Bulbin, was a relatives house. Been on the top of Ben Bulbin.

tyred

Legendary Member
The white house that used to appear in many pictures of Ben Bulbin, was a relatives house. Been on the top of Ben Bulbin.

I've never been to the top of it yet but will do some day. I still look at it in awe after all these years every time I drive to Sligo.

classic33

Leg End Member
Am looking for some information :reading:about going around southern Ireland what the best road, where to stay ,etc etc its find next year around September :bicycle: thanks flyingfifi:girldance:
@flyingfifi....
Any further with your ideas?

Last edited:
Top Bottom